Chapter 36: Sit down

Vision and Wanda had gotten The Winter Soldier back on the jet rather quickly considering the team had been waiting for Y/N and Steve to get back for nearly 15 minutes.

Once the two boarded the jet, Steve jogged up next to him to remove the mask. He looked over each feature of his face, making sure he in fact was not insane for saying that it was Bucky.

"Were you right, sir?" Vision asked.

Steve finished looking over him, sure of what he'd seen, "Yeah. Yes, this is him. I still don't know how, but I'm sure it is."

Though he was completely strapped down and unconscious, Wanda stayed next to him the entire flight home just in case anything was to go south. It was a rather short ride, but the silence was deafening as they made sure he didn't wake. He was dangerous enough in an open area, they didn't want to see what it would be like in a jet thousands of feet in the air.

The jet landed within 20 minutes, allowing Vision and Wanda to quickly get him to a holding cell while he was still knocked out. Steve followed just behind them to make sure that he could be there when he did finally wake.

"Do you want me to come with you?" Y/N asked before leaving the jet.

"No, I need to be alone with him when he wakes. I'll call you all if I need something," He responded.

With that, Tony and Y/N left him to follow Vision and Wanda down to the holding cells. What felt like a whole day's worth of work had actually just been three. When Y/N realized it was still rather early, just nearing two in the afternoon, they decided to head down to the med bay to catch up with Yelena.

They were rounding the corner to her room when they realized that it was empty. Y/N stopped short, wondering if they'd accidentally gone into the wrong room.

There is no way she's been discharged already, they thought, Bruce wouldn't send her out this early.

As they ran out into the hall, they found the nurse that had been assisting her the past night and early this morning, "Uh excuse me, where is she?" They asked trying to stay calm.

"Who?" She responded.

"What do you mean who?! The only human who has been down here in the past week?!" They yelled.

The nurse did not falter though, only sending Y/N further into a spiral as they began frantically looking around, "No, no no no. She's.. what the fuck, where is she?!" They began yelling.

Y/N quickly left the nurse behind and darted to Bruce's office only to find he was not there. Oh my god, they thought, he was supposed to be here taking care of her. I'm going to fucking murder someone.

They quickly took off again up the stairs this time because they felt the elevator would be much too slow, apparently. Y/N was rounding the corner into the kitchen just as they heard Nat's laugh.

"NAT! WHERE THE FUCK IS-" They were yelling just before they stopped short.

Yelena and Nat were sitting at the island in the kitchen having lunch and acting totally normal. Seeing the two of them sitting there confused them so much that they'd just stood in silence for a few seconds before the sisters broke into a laugh.

Standing from her seat, Yelena made her way over to Y/N, "We told the nurse to act like they'd never seen me and sent Bruce to town to get some food for when you all got back," She said as she laughed pulling them into a hug.

Still confused and still silent, Y/N stood there looking around and trying to reorient themselves as well as calm their heart rate that had been skyrocketing since they stepping into the med bay. As they came to, they realized that Yelena should not be off bed rest.

"Why are you standing? Why are you even out of the med bay? There's absolutely no way that you recovered enough to out here! I'm taking you upstairs, come on-" Y/N stated as they started dragging her by her forearm.

"Y/N! I'm fine! Seriously, I promise you I am fine. Once the fluids cycled through and the scans came back fine, Bruce said I'd be okay to head out," She responded as she resisted their pull.

They looked over at Nat, knowing there was no way she'd be okay with her being up, "You're telling me you're fine with this? You think she's alright enough TO BE WALKING after nearly dying last night?"

She laughed before taking a bite out of the sandwich she'd just finished making, "Yes, I trust Bruce. He said she's clear and that she should just take it easy for now."

That was all Y/N needed to hear. In seconds, they'd scooped Yelena up bridal style, "Exactly. Take it easy. I'm taking you to your room," They said as they turned to go to the elevator.

Yelena was still laughing as she resisted, but the fear that Y/N had felt thinking something was wrong was still coursing through their veins and helping them keep a hold of her in their arms.

It didn't take long for them to arrive at her room. She'd stopped resisting halfway up the elevator and just rested her head on their shoulder as she draped her arms around their neck. The giggling had continued though, which was slightly helping Y/N break from the anxiety they were feeling.

Once they were through her door, Y/N locked the door and laid Yelena down on her bed. They took a seat next to her feet as they were finally able to breathe and take in the fact that she was okay. Unfortunately, this was one of those instances that had pushed them so far because they thought they'd lost her that they started choking up.

She noticed quickly, jumping forward to grab their arm, "Hey, hey! What's wrong? I'm okay. You can see I'm okay. Everything is fine, Y/N. I promise," She said as she laid one leg across theirs and the other behind their back.

Y/N lifted their head up and back trying to get the tears to fall back. Shaking their head, they looked over at her. It was clear that she was worried about them and was feeling slightly guilty for playing that sort of prank.

"I just... Shit. I thought I'd really lost you," They responded as Yelena pulled their head in to rest on her chest, "And honestly Yelena, I'd rather go through every second of trauma I've been through again than ever lose you."

She ran her fingers through their hair as she rested her chin on their head, "I'm sorry, Y/N. We really didn't think it would be that bad, but I should've realized."

Hearing her blame herself, Y/N sat up to meet her eyes again, "No, it's okay. I know you all didn't mean anything by it... I just have a lot of stuff I need to work through apparently. If I'd just stopped for a second, I'm sure I would've realized that someone would've told me if something happened."

Yelena continued running her fingers through their hair as they sat in silence for a few seconds while Y/N sifted through their thoughts. 

This might be a good place to start, they thought, maybe now is a good time.

"Speaking of that trauma..." They started, "I think I can tell you.. a bit."