Chapter 43: Frozen

"They did respond," He started, "but something is off. I'm not sure what it is right now, but I'm going to bring the nurse in to complete the scans while I talk with Tony about this."

Without time to answer questions, Bruce darted out of the room to find Tony and figure out how they were going to go about this. What he'd seen as he tested their eyes was a reaction, but it wasn't normal. Y/N's pupils had shaken as they constricted each time he'd flashed the light back over them. This wasn't something he'd seen from anyone before and he wanted to make sure he spoke to the right people before making any further decisions. 

As he ran down to his office to get in touch with Tony, the nurse brought in the MRI machine to see exactly what Y/N's brain activity looked like. While she did this, Yelena, Nat, and Wanda had to leave the room for a few minutes. Yelena stepped just outside the door, refusing to go any further in case anything happened, while Nat and Wanda stepped a few feet down the hall.

"So what exactly did you see just before it all happened then?" Nat asked in a hushed tone so that Yelena wouldn't hear them and get too worked up again.

Wanda shook her head as she tried recalling the last memory she'd seen, "Uh the last one.. It was when they'd told Yelena they loved her, but the part that caused this was when they saw her say it back."

Nat laughed as she responded, "I can't say I'm surprised but I don't know why that would've blown them up like this."

"I don't know either. When I checked in afterward, it was scary how empty it was. I can't explain what it looked like without showing you, but it just seemed... it was chilling. It's like I could see and feel how empty they were," Wanda said.

Just as she'd finished her sentence, the nurse stepped out of the room while Yelena rushed right back to her spot in the chair next to their bed. She was riddled with fear and Nat felt that this wasn't good for her. 

"Hey.. Why don't we go get some food?" Nat asked as she kneeled down next to her, "Wanda can stay here so they aren't alone."

She shook her head vigorously, "No. I want to be here in case anything happens. I'm not leaving until they're back."

"Yelena, you should at least-" Nat started before Yelena shot a look at her.

"I said no, Natalia! I'm not leaving!" She yelled as she put her hand out to stop Nat from speaking to her.

It was clear that she was too emotional to get through to at the moment, so Nat left before either of them could make it worse. This left Wanda and Yelena alone in the room together. The two hadn't ever been alone for more than a few seconds with time between them to actually speak.

Neither said a word as Wanda grabbed a seat and sat opposite of Yelena on the other side of the bed. A minute had gone by as they sat there in silence looking over Y/N, wondering where they were behind those cold eyes.

"Do you think they're still in there?" Yelena asked as she looked over their face.

Shocked at the question, she looked up at Yelena before looking over at Y/N whose face was still unmoving and basically frozen, "I hope so." Wanda said as she choked down the tears that were burning the back of her eyes while looking over their comatose state. 

"You know," She continued after a few seconds of silence as she thought, "You are some of their happiest memories..."

Yelena looked over to meet Wanda's eyes with tears brimming around hers, "What do you mean?"

As she let out a deep breath, Wanda was reminded of the memories that she sifted through in their mind. They had many decent ones, but their mind was absolutely infested with horrible memories ranging from sadness from their losses to pain from their time with HYDRA.

"There is a lot of... anguish and.. pain. It was so much that I could barely find the good memories in there that I needed to find, but the ones they had of you..." She trailed off as she remembered how they looked in their mind, "Those memories were so bright. They basically illuminated their entire mind enough to look past those other memories."

Seeing all of these memories they had with Yelena pushed Wanda to finally begin coming to terms with their feelings for Y/N. She knew how strong their love for her was. It was evident in the way that their mind radiated with admiration of her. She had become Y/N's driving force to be a better person.

"I know we have some issues between us, but I hope you know that I truly am sorry for all of that," She continued, "You light a fire in them that I've never seen before and that's all I could ever want for them."

Yelena nodded with a slight grin on her face. She knew that she and Y/N shared similar feelings because they too made every inch of her life better. Everything was brighter in her life since the moment they stepped into the compound.

"...And I hope that one day you can forgive me for all of this," Wanda said as she finally finished her statement.

"I get it," Yelena started, "I don't blame you for the feelings you had and I know that it wasn't easy to see them after all that time. We can put this behind us as long as you promise to never make a move on them again," She finished as she made a gun symbol with her hand and nodded down to it. The two laughed at the joke before Wanda nodded and replied, "Of course."

After they'd finally settled their feud, Wanda and Yelena sat with Y/N for a few hours before Wanda left to head up to her room for the night. Yelena fell asleep in her chair not long after as she leaned over the side of Y/N's bed while holding their hand. 

Knowing that Y/N was at least still responding to the light, the team took the night to rest. Bruce had called in some extra help that Tony had flown in the next morning. Yelena was woken up that following morning to Steve tapping lightly on her shoulder, "Hey, we have a visitor."

She blinked her eyes a few times as she tried to adjust to the morning rays of sun that were beaming directly in her eyes. Once she was finally able to see, her eyes set on a taller skinny man that she hadn't ever seen before.

"Who is that?" She asked, "And why is he wearing that God-awful red cape?"