Chapter Twenty Five- Snapshots of Regrouping

"How the fuck do you lose a war criminal? Especially a war criminal who also happens to be a literal god?"

"Pepper, calm down-"

"Of all the stupid, childish things you've done, that is the most-"

"Pepper please-"

"No, Tony. I am speechless that you could be so stupid-"

Stark's face was set in a permanent wince. He'd known telling Pepper about their missing god was a dangerous idea, but god dammit if she want one of the smartest people he knew. He had underestimated her fury.

"I'm burning that Italian suit you bought last week."

"Pepper no!"

"Pepper."

Tony had never been so glad to hear Steve's voice. He was saved! Surely Steve wouldn't-

"Burn the french one too."

His spluttering clearly wasn't protest enough, as Pepper left the room, lighter in hand, the fire in her eyes far brighter than any his suits could kindle.

"So, you lost Loki, and now you need our help to get him back? Is that it?"

"Yes. And ASAP."

"You lost Loki?"

"Thor? Shit, don't-"

————————————————————————

"This is safe, right?"

"... yes?"

"Well that's reassuring." Natasha's face was unusually uncertain. She'd been in aircrafts more times than in her life than she could count, yet this was to space and this ship seemed... unsafe.

"Come on, Nat. It's not like we haven't done crazier," Steve's grin was feral, a stark reminder that he wasn't just a patriotic teacher's pet. "What's the worst that could happen?"

________________________________

"Their ship should be here in an hour."

Stark sighed, waving a hand in acknowledgment as he turned back to the table. Maps were strewn across it, along with every piece of information they had on Jotunheim- which, admittedly, wasn't much.

It was known for its freezing temperatures and cutthroat inhabitants and, despite having clear knowledge of other species, the planet was avoided. Which was a shame, as it left them in their current predicament of having very little information on the planet. It'll make reaching Loki so much harder.

They currently had no way of communicating with the others either, as Thor had completely fried the hardware in a rage. To be fair, they had lost his baby brother. His rage was definitely justified.

"I honestly hate to admit this, but I'm worried about the lil fella," Quill rubbed the back of his neck. "I know he's like, a war criminal and all, but..."

"So am I," Gamora shrugged. "You'd still care if I was hurt."

"Yeah, but you gotta admit it's different. I might wanna help him, but I don't wanna do morally ambiguous things to him in the bedroom."

"Okay, ew."

"Come on, Stark. You're telling me you've never been-"

"That is quite enough, thank you."

"Sorry, granddad."

"You take that back right fucking now!"

————————————————————————

"So this is Jotunheim," Bruce adjusted his glasses, squinting at the grey sky and monotone landscape. Ice shards struck the sky like daggers, void-like caves carved into the mountains, and not one plant in sight. "It's lovely."

"It's really not."

"I was trying to be polite."

"Do we know where Stark is?" Steve had reassumed his Captain America role, back straight and aura calm as he analysed the hellscape. Bruce fumbled in his rucksack, pulling out a hastily put together scanner. Their green dot was in the middle of the screen, to the northwest a blue blip indicating the ship. He pointed.

"That way, maybe twenty or thirty clicks."

Steve nodded, hands on hips. "Alright. Everyone, stay together. Keep your senses sharp- remember, this is an alien planet. We don't know what's out there."

"Why do I feel like I'm on a school trip?" Natasha whispered to Bruce, giggling as the Captain raised an unimpressed eyebrow at her.

"Maybe because I have to babysit your asses to keep you all from getting killed."

"Damn, Steve's on smoke tonight."

"If you are quite done, let's head out."

"Wait!"

Bruce jumped as the airship yelled at them, crashing coming from the hangar as a certain brown haired teenager tumbled into the snow.

"What the f- Peter? Did you stow away?"

Peter laughed sheepishly, giving a little wave. "I heard you guys were gonna go help Mr Stark, so I thought I'd come and help?"

"Does your aunt know about this?"

"Ummmmmm..."

"Peter?"

"Would you feel better if I said yes?"

"Peter!"

"Well, he's clearly Stark's kid."

Bruce snorted, a smile ghosting on his lips as the kid's eyes lit up. It was clear he absolutely adored Tony- and the feeling was mutual. Bruce had lost count of how many times the scientist would boast proudly about the kid. Then again, all the Avengers had gotten attached, even before they knew he was Spider-Man. From the self-defence classes to the constant help and advice, it was almost like they had collectively adopted him. Not that Bruce was complaining.

The boy in question jogged over to him, eyeing the device with obvious curiosity. He didn't say anything as he turned to start out at the jagged ice cliffs, but the glint in his eye promised a slew of questions later. Bruce's smile returned.

————————————————————————

"What is it, exactly, that you're planning to do with me?"

Loki cringed at how his childish voice belayed the unconcerned superiority he was trying to project. Instead of being unnerved, his Jotun guard simply sneered and went back to his ale. Loki sighed.

He'd already mapped the entire room to the minutest detail, and memorised the ice labyrinth he'd been dragged though on his way to the dungeon. He'd always prided himself on his quick mind and good memory, and he was certain now that they would be useful.

He wasn't sure if a rescue was coming, or if he was expected to escape on his own. If Stark had told Thor of his predicament, there wasn't a chance in hell that his idiot brother wasn't coming. He bit his lip. Should he hold out hope for a rescue, and potentially risk being captured for good, or try to escape, and risk endangering the others? The choice was easy.

He sat, and he waited.

A/N: did you miss me? I know I've been gone a while, and I apologise. I've had uni, moving house, crippling debt... you know the drill. I'll try to update when I can.

Question of the Week:

What would your idea for a What If? episode be?

This should rack in some good ones. Vote for your favourite idea, and the top idea will get a shout out in the next chapter. Until then, stay frosty my dudes and dudettes 🤟🏻