Chapter Four- Asgard's Fall

Natasha watched her friend as she knelt beside Loki. A sneer curdled her lip. She didn't trust the god, and Wanda's proximity to him put her on high alert. Banner kept glancing at her, but she didn't look back. She couldn't. He'd left her- no, he'd abandoned her. Fury boiled her blood. She clenched her fists. Just when she'd let someone in, started to care for someone, she'd been betrayed. Again.

A sharp cry interrupted Romanoff's thoughts. She jumped, startled, as Loki sat up with a gasp, his blue eyes flashing green. Wanda fell back against the table with a shriek. Loki's eyes returned to their usual crystal blue as he looked around, baffled, before leaping over the back of the sofa like a gazelle and darting behind his brother. Vision pulled Wanda to her feet.

"Loki? Are you okay?" Thor put his hands on his brother's shoulders, his eyes searching Loki's face for anything unusual. Loki leaned round Thor, staring at Wanda and completely ignoring him.

"She was in my head!" he yelled. Barton snorted.

"It's not nice, is it? Having someone in your head," he smirked. Stark sniggered and Romanoff had to hide a smile. Peter just looked confused. Steve laughed, earning surprised looks from his friends. The Captain was always so serious his laughter was almost alien.

"I heard... what... what was that?" Wanda asked, cutting through the others' laughter. Loki frowned.

"What are you talking about?" he answered her question with one of his own, looking utterly confused. Wanda looked saddened.

"Don't worry," she murmured. Loki shook his head. He shrank further behind Thor's back as he fell under the hateful glares of the Avengers.

"I'm going to go back to the ship. You creatures bore me and... I..." he trailed off, staring into nothing. Stark glanced at Natasha as if she knew what was going on, though the assassin had no idea. She shrugged, as ignorant as he, before reaching forwards and snapping her fingers in front of Loki's face.

The god of mischief grabbed her wrist instinctively, his eyes locking with hers. Images flashed in her mind. She saw a barren planet, a throne of ice, a sceptre, a man with a cloak, a woman wearing a beautiful dress, an old man sitting in a golden throne, a woman with tears staining her face-

She stumbled back as Loki let go. She could tell instantly she'd seen things she wasn't supposed to. Loki was staring at her, his face showing a mixture of fear, pain and anger. He turned, his hair whipping round, and marched out. They watched him enter the smoking ship without looking back once.

"Are you okay?" Bruce took her arm, examining it. She yanked it back.

"I'm fine," she hissed. She regretted her sharp words when hurt flooded his eyes, but wouldn't apologize.

"Are you sure?" Steve pressed. She nodded, rubbing her wrist. It felt chilled. She glanced down, gasping when she saw the slender blue handprint encircling her wrist.

"What did you see?" Vision asked curiously. Natasha shook her head.

"I'm not sure. I don't remember most of it."

"What the hell were you thinking, bringing him here?" Stark shouted. He looked mad, and Romanoff was slightly touched that he cared. Most who met him thought he didn't care about anyone else, but she knew that wasn't completely true.

"I'm sorry," Thor hung his head. "I just... I need your help." Stark scoffed.

"So let me get this straight. You bring the guy who tried to conquer the planet back and expect us to help you? Not happening!" He crossed his arms.

"Mr Stark?" Peter was looking at the God of Thunder thoughtfully. "Shouldn't you at least hear why he needs your help?" Stark looked like he was battling with himself, but, like earlier, he sighed.

"Fine," he muttered. Romanoff smiled to herself. That kid was Tony's kryptonite.

"My people need somewhere to stay. There aren't many of them, a mere hundred or so, but we're running out of food and water," Thor explained.

"What about Asgard?" Barton asked.

"Asgard is gone," Banner's voice was final. The others stared at him, shocked.

"How can it just be gone?" Steve wondered. Thor sighed.

"When my father died, my elder sister, Hela, was released. She lay siege to Asgard, threatening to kill its entire population if they didn't bow to her and accept her as Queen. In an attempt to stop her, Loki released the doomsday giant. He battled Hela, and they both died. Asgard was destroyed in the explosion," he recounted. Banner muttered something under his breath. Natasha was too far away to hear, but Steve and Barton started laughing.

"What?" Thor demanded. Banner grinned.

"I'm beginning to wonder whether it's actually you who's adopted."

A/N: yaaaaa! Another chapter! Extra long. Not getting many comments, I'd love to hear your opinion of this story! Please vote, comment etc. Love you guys xxx