Chapter Eleven- Chitauri and Unwelcome Visitors

"Why. Won't. They. Just. Die?" Barton yelled, punctuating each word with a punch. The Chitauri beneath him crumpled.

"Gee, I don't know. Maybe because, instead of using sharp weaponry, like your arrows, you're using your fists," Sam answered dryly. Clint rolled his eyes.

"Well, feathers, I dropped my bow somewhere and now I can't find-"

"Clint!" Natasha's scream cut him off and the archer spun round. A Chitauri stood before him, spear raised, and it released a blast from his staff. Sam's heart dropped, knowing he'd never reach Clint in time. Clint braced for impact, only to find himself being thrown into the air and dropped onto the roof.

"What the f-"

"Hey guys!" A familiar red clad hero swung into view, waving. "Long time no see!"

"Spiderman? Seriously?" Sam exclaimed, watching as the youngster webbed a group of Chitauri. "How the hell did you find us?"

"Easy!" came the chipper reply. "I never lost you! I always know where you are! Plus you publicly moved Avengers HQ. And even if none of that were true, I could just look at radio signals and survey any messages using SHIELD frequencies or codes, trace them and-"

"Yeah, yeah, we get it. Science stuff. A little help?" Natasha punched another alien.

"Oh, right, sorry. But technically it's techno stuff, not science stuff. Although, I suppose techno stuff is technically science stuff, so-"

"Spiderman!"

"Yup, on it!"

____________________________________

"Steve..." Steve's head shot up. The doctors had just finished patching Tony up, reassuring him that it was fine, Tony was going to be fine, but the inventor's pale complexion still made Steve worry. He'd been sat by Tony's bed, head in his hands, waiting for his friend to wake up. And now he had.

"Tony! How do you feel? Do you have enough painkillers? How many fingers am I holding up?" Steve asked quickly, eyes wide with concern, three fingers held in the air.

"Like hell, probably not, and three. I take it I can't have any scotch?" Tony finished hopefully. His face fell at Steve's stern expression. "Yeah, yeah, I know."

"I was worried, Tony," Steve confessed. Stark let out a weak laugh.

"That's Pepper's job," he grinned. Steve laughed slightly, abruptly stopping as Stark groaned.

"Tony? What's wrong?"

"Pepper's gonna be pissed that I got myself hurt again," he whined. Steve rolled his eyes. "Seriously! She'll go psycho and start stabbing people! Last time I was in hospital she threw a syringe at a doctor!" Steve frowned.

"Seriously?"

"Seriously! That woman is bat shit crazy!"

"Language," Steve murmured. Stark stared at him. "What?"

"You're joking, right? I'm lying on my deathbed-"

"You're not on your deathbed."

"croaking out my dying words-"

"Don't be dramatic."

"and you're telling me to mind my f-"

"Tony!"

"my fricking language?" Stark finished. Steve shrugged, seemingly unconcerned. "Unbelievable. Where are the others. Or do they not care?"

"I'm sure they do, but they're currently occupied fighting off a Chitauri army."

"What?" Tony practically shrieked. He sat up, hissing as he jostled his ribs. "We have to... we have to help... help them." He was panting, exhausted by the effort of having to sit up. Steve grabbed his shoulders.

"No, Tony. You aren't in a fit state to be going anywhere." He gently pushed Stark back down. "They have this." A distant explosion followed his words. "Mostly."

"Steve," Stark caught his wrist, slender fingers encircling it. Brown eyes met blue. "Go help them. They need leadership. They need a plan."

"Stark, I don't want to just leave you here, and... I don't know how to beat the army again. There's no portal this time."

"I'll be fine. And, hey, you're the star-spangled man with a plan." Tony quirked his mouth, dropping his hand back on the bed. "Go." Steve nodded, standing and grabbing his shield. Then he was gone.

____________________________________

"You have lost."

It was a simple phrase, but it sent shivers down Loki's spine all the same. He knew what this... creature... was capable of.

"But you're dead..."

"-are still unsure as to the nature of these attacks, but assure us the culprits will be caught. Suspicions from the public are centred on Loki, the psychopathic Asgardian that threatened Earth just a few short years ago and has not been seen since. There have been calls for the government to execute him, but, since he is probably off terrorising another planet and murdering all their children that won't be-"

Loki fumed, temporarily losing control of his magic. Storming out before he could hurt someone, he flinched as he heard the TV pop and quickened his pace.

He stayed in his room. He wasn't hiding- the God of Mischief does not hide from pathetic mortals- but enjoying some time to himself. That was until he heard an explosion and the ground shook. He ran to his door, pulling it, but it was locked. And then He appeared.

"Death does not claim me so easily, trickster. Now, you must come with me. The Great Lord wishes to speak to you."

A/N: yaaaaaaay chapter! Watcha think? We have tons of snow here. So cool! England never gets snow! I'd love to hear from you! Please don't forget to vote, comment etc. Love you guys xxx