Chapter Twelve- the Other

"How terribly interesting. I am not available at the current moment, but perhaps you could pass on a message?" Loki smiled charmingly, creating a mirage to hold in place while he invisibly inspected the room for a way out. The Other hissed.

"You dare to defy our Master? And to send a message, no less. This is disobedience!" he growled. Loki's image laughed lightly, when inside he was panicking, searching quicker.

"Yes, I suppose it is."

"The message will have to be important," the Other earned him. Loki smiled, unseen, as his fingers closed around the hilt of his dagger. "Come then, tell me what it is."

"Screw you," all in one instant, his mirage disappeared and Loki threw the knife at his enemy's heart. It lodged in his chest, eliciting an inhuman shriek that Romanoff heard from all the way on the battlefield. Loki sniggered and pulled out the blade, blasting open the door and sprinting down the hall. He burst through the doors at the end, only to be brought up short at the platoon of Chitauri before him, guns pointed at him. He slowly raised his hands.

Twelve Chitauri. Three lines of four. All with powerful blaster guns. Loki narrowed his eyes. The odds were in his favour. He stepped forward, whipping the knife into the head of the Chitauri directly in front of him and grabbed the barrel of a gun. He pulled it forward, twisting it, and yanked it out of its owners grasp. He used it like a baton, smashing the now unarmed Chitauri on the head. It crumpled to the floor. He heard a blast from a gun and rolled on the floor, taking out the leg of one of the soldiers.

Everything became a blur as he turned, hit, stabbed, dodged, and in a matter of seconds the platoon were dead at his feet, blood running down the corridor and smeared up the walls like in a horror movie. The liquid dripped from his knife, and was splattered on his face, and for one dreadful moment he had the urge to just kill, to just kill everything in sight, but it was gone as fast as it came.

"Loki?" his name was spoken like a question, as if he were unsure Loki wasn't... unhinged. The God of Mischief glanced up. His brother watched him wearily from the end of the corridor, the Avengers hovering uneasily behind him. He was aware of how he looked- bloodstained clothes, knife held in a vice-like grip, the feral look in his eyes. The bodies piled around him. He blinked, clearing his head, and glanced about him.

"I... they... we need to get out of here," he stuttered. "He's here." Thor frowned.

"Who?"

"Me." The word was uttered just behind his ear, breath tickling the back of his neck. Loki's eyes widened in shock, but clenched in pain as he felt something pierce his side. He cried out, falling onto one knee and hissing his pain. He pulled the knife out, suppressing a gasp. The dagger shook in his trembling hands, slick with his own blood. He slowly looked up, meeting Thor's horrified eyes. The Other moved behind him, and cool metal was pressed against his neck. The Other drew his arm back, and quickly thrust it down.

"NO!"

____________________________________

"NO!"

The word was ripped from Thor's throat, and he could only watch in horror as that... creature... plunged the blade through his little brother's back and out of his chest. Bruce glanced at Thor's grief stricken face, sadness etched onto his own. Loki screamed, head thrown back as the sound was torn from him. The monster pulled the blade out and kicked Loki over. The god slumped to the side and lay there, unmoving.

Banner closed his eyes, fearful of looking at Thor, knowing this would break the thunder god. Thor couldn't lose Loki- not again. Not when he'd just got him back. Banner felt his skin shift and his bones crack, the sight of Loki's corpse bringing out the Hulk. He roared, anger coursing threw his veins, and charged the monster before him. It waved its arm, and he was thrown into a wall.

"Foolish creatures," the thing let out a hissing laugh. "Thinking you can fight me. I am the Other, and I serve the one true god." Hulk pushed himself onto his knees, watching Thor's expression freeze.

"Leave now, creature, or I shall kill you where you stand," the King threatened. The Other laughed again.

"You truly believe you could. I have been resurrected with more power than ever before. I have a greater magic, a vaster knowledge-"

"And a bigger ego," the Loki on the floor glimmered and exploded into gold dust. The Other hissed as his legs solidified, his skin turning to stone. He was a statue in a matter of seconds. "Fool still didn't know what real magic looked like." Hulk felt a bracing hand on his leg and looked down to see Loki stood there, staring up at him calmly. The green beast smiled slightly, shrinking back into Banner. The God of Mischief clicked his fingers, clothing Bruce in his usual attire.

"Loki," Thor breathed, enveloping his brother in a bone-crushing hug. Loki whimpered, clutching his side, and gently pushing him away. He looked much the same as he had when they'd rounded the corner, but he also now had a deep gash in his side.

"Yep, that one's real," Loki grimaced, paler than usual. "But, hey, at least I'm not dead. That's a positive, right?" He paused, seemingly uncertain. "Right?" Thor nodded, laughing.

"Yes, it is, brother. Now, let's get you to the infirmary."

____________________________________

"I need to invest in a bigger infirmary," Stark muttered, glaring around the room. It wasn't exactly small, but Stark's main concern was being as far away as possible from the god lying just a few feet from him in a similar bed.

"Oh, come on Tony. He's not that bad," Bruce reasoned, although he had no idea why he was sticking up for the man. Clint scowled.

"He attacked our planet, brainwashed people- including me- murdered hundred of people- including Tony, if temporarily- and tried to become our ruler," he listed. "And he murdered Coulson!" Tony winced.

"Yeah, about that last one..."

A/N: yay! Chapter! Extra long! And badass Loki, as promised (though I'd have preferred to make him more badass) and even Coulson. What more do you want? No, seriously. What more do you want? Should I put an OC in? I'm not sure. Comment 'yay' for yes and 'nay' for no. Love to hear from you! Please don't forget to vote, comment etc. Love you guys xxx