Chapter Nineteen- Exploding Cargo and Interstellar Phonecalls

"Is this it?" Quill stared out the main window. "I was expecting something... I dunno. Something a little more..." he waved his fingers. "Magical."

"What were you expecting? A blonde woman in a blue dress to wave her hands and summon a castle? This is real life, idiot," Loki snapped. Quill looked offended.

"I am not an idi-"

"We're ready to land. Know any decent places?" Gamora strode into the hangar, cutting off Quill and fixing her eyes on Loki. The young god shrugged.

"It's pretty much all the same. Ice, rock, maybe a little snow. It doesn't really matter."

"Thanks." The green skinned warrior left, her hair bouncing as she rolled her eyes. Frigging Asgardians.

"No wonder you turned out so evil. I would too, coming from a place like this."

"I'm not evil," Loki glared at Quill. "I'm just sick of being a puppet. First my father, then Thanos... I will bow down no longer."

"Wait, you remember Thanos?" Quill looked alarmed. "Then... you haven't lost your memory like Stark says?"

"No." Loki grinned. "I didn't. I wasn't even in the building when the experiment failed. I wandered in a few minutes later, turned myself into a child to make Stark think I was affected too. Now," he held up a long, slender finger, "if you tell Stark, or anyone else, what I just told you, I'll be forced to turn you inside out. Do you understand?" Quill looked unimpressed.

"As if you have that kinda power."

The lights in the hanger suddenly exploded, boxes of cargo imploding as the walls shook. Quill screamed, dropping to the floor and covering his face. Everything went still.

"Now," Loki murmured lowly, crouching down to whisper in Quill's ear. "I am not some token magician. I am a sorcerer. I have walked this universe for over a millennia. I was born in war, and raised among those who would do me harm if they knew the truth of me. I am fire, and ice, and blood. I am no mere mortal. I am a god. A divine being with such power that if you were to hold just a fraction of it, your eyes would melt and you would die choking on your own sizzling blood. Do you understand me?"

Quill nodded, completely still as Loki backed away. He glanced up to see the immortal leaving the hangar- the hangar which had no exploded lightbulbs, no imploded cargo.

What. The fuck.

___________________________

"You ready?"

"Almost."

"You've been saying that for nearly an hour."

"This is a very delicate procedure. One slip up and this could go terribly, horribly wrong."

"Okay."

Beat.

"Is it going to be a lot longer, or should I-"

"Christ!" Bruce slammed the syringe down on the table. "Could you just be silent for one minute?"

"Yeah. I mean, sure. I just, you know. I'm worried." Steve spluttered. "Sorry." Bruce rolled his eyes.

"Just be ready with the medkit in case anything goes wrong. Not," Bruce added, one finger raised as Steve opened his mouth to speak, "that anything will."

"Okay. Just... good luck."

"Yep. Ready?"

"Ready."

————————————————————

"So, where exactly are we.?" Quill day in a container, kicking his feet. "I mean, I know we're on Jotunheim but is there like a region name, or...?"

Loki ignored him, waving his fingers and generating little golden sparks. Every so often a spark would hit the floor, leaving a peppering of little holes. Stark sat in the corner playing fiddling with a communications device, Rocket leaning over his shoulder. Groovy and Drax were arguing about... something. Mantis was dozing in one of the rooms somewhere, Gamora had disappeared to the cockpit. Everything seemed peaceful. Yondu knew better.

Quill kept shooting nervous glances at the demigod, and, judging by the well-hidden smirk toying the child's lips, he knew. Stark had seemed to notice as well, his attention only partially directed at his gadget- phone, was it?- and mostly on his charge. Drax and Groot were completely oblivious.

Stark's phone lit up, emitting a shrill ring. He jumped, grabbing it and tapping a green button on the screen. A voice filtered through, a man with the same accent as Quill.

"Tony? You there?"

"Hey Steve. How're things in crazy town?"

"Actually-"

"I can't believe you went to space without me!" Stark must have recognised the voice, since his eyes lit up and a rare smile played at the corners of his mouth.

"Hey, kid. I see you've been restored your full annoying self."

"Yeah. We all have. Mr Banner is really smart," the kid's voice was high and tinny through the phone, but Yondu could tell he was young. Sixteen, maybe seventeen at most. "You promised you'd take me!"

"I know, but things happened quick. Besides, I wouldn't want you coming along on this one. Next time though. I promise. I'll build the ship myself."

"You're gonna build me a spaceship?" somehow the voice got higher, barely recognisable as a voice and not a fire alarm. "That's so cool! Wait till I tell Ned! It'll need an awesome engine, and a..." Yondu zoned out. The kids voice was annoying, especially at the pitch and speed it was going. Stark managed to convince the child to give the phone back to the first man.

"What's the plan, Stark?"

"Not sure yet. Turns out we were transporting the kid to a detention center, but someone blew it up. I'm guessing someone with a big army."

"You mean-"

"Yep," Stark glanced at Loki. The demigod didn't appear to be listening, but his soft golden glitter had turned into angry red sparks. "That's the one. Now we're lying low on- what was it? Yoghurt-high? Boat-on-time?"

"Jotunheim?" another voice on the phone, this one deeper. This one Yondu knew. Thor. "That's a terrible plan! Bring Loki back. You don't know the kind of danger you're in just by being there!"

"What do you mean?" Stark frowned.

Thor sounded panicked now. "He's the prince. You don't think they'll know he's there?"

"Who'll know?"

"Guys? We got trouble," Gamora appeared in the doorway. Quill snapped to attention, Groot and Drax cutting off their argument abruptly.

"What kinda trouble?" Gamora scowled.

"Jotuns."

A/N: behold. One of the shittest chapters I've ever written in my life. I'm all honesty, I forgot what I was doing halfway though and improved the rest of it. It got me where I wanted anyway though, so...

Question of the Week:

Favourite ship in MCU?

This outta be interesting. And maybe catastrophic. I guess we'll see. Like, comment and all that shizzle. See you in the next chapter, I guess. Stay frosty 🤘🏻