Chapter Five

Your eyes widen as your body locks in place. You knew the moment would eventually come when he questions you, but you haven't had time to create a plausible story.

"Uh," you start, racking your mind for any kind of answer, "...my mother?"

Unamused, William squints his eyes before leaning closer to you.

"I know you weren't simply strolling that hallway before 'falling' at the door."

He looks away before resting one hand on the side of his face in deep thought.

"I was standing at the end of that hall... I would have seen you enter."

You sit there in silence. What could you say?

He seems to let it go before a sudden expression of realization sweeps his face.

"And how did you get that door open?"

You sigh, wanting nothing more than for this conversation to end.

"It was unlocked," you shrug, avoiding eye contact.

You hear nothing for a moment before the loud sound of his hand slamming the table between the two of you, startling you into looking up.

"Don't lie to me, y/n!" he yells, causing tears to form in your eyes.

His expression is beyond irritated, and you fearfully watch as the silvery blue of his eyes darken.

"I-I don't know what to say," you tearfully utter, just above a whisper.

"The truth!" he mercilessly rebuts.

You lift your hands to the sides of your head as he yells at you.

'I-I couldn't possibly. He wouldn't be able to understand.'

Helplessly, you tilt your head down deeper into your hands as you begin to feel warm tears roll down your face.

The room is silent—almost too quiet—before you hear William softly clear his throat.

You feel his hand gently touch your wrist, and you hesitantly peer up to see his head shamefully hung.

"I'm sorry," he eventually says, obviously embarrassed by his sudden outburst.

You can tell he doesn't apologize often by the uncomfortable look in his eyes; in addition, you are not entirely sure he means it, but can tell that he does at least feel a little bad for making you cry.

'Well, it's good enough for me.'

Pausing slightly, you sheepishly look just beneath his eyes before accepting.

"It's fine."

♡~~~♡

The majority of the day was spent indoors by the two of you doing this and that; watching "all" four channels of television :*( , making light conversation, and William's occasional scolding as you attempt to explore the house.

"Y/n, can you not just stay put?" he asks, rolling his eyes as he catches you peek your head around the corner of the formal dining room.

"I am curious!" you laugh, defensively lifting your hands in front of you. "What time is it, anyways?"

William glances at the expensive, gold-plated analog watch on his wrist before responding.

"It is a quarter after two... meaning Michael should be home before long."

You sigh a small breath of relief as he says this, glad that someone else will soon be in the house apart from just you and William alone.

It is not that you didn't enjoy his rather charming company... but you can't help but feel he certainly frightens you at times.