Chapter Ten

You stare at him, slightly stunned.

"I-I am sor—" you sputter.

His head shakes lightly as he gently laughs, holding his hands on both sides of your face with a smile.

Ever so softly grazing your face with his fingers, he shyly looks away before whispering.

"Darling, I am so sorry."

You look up at him, wide eyed.

It is resoundingly clear that William is uncomfortable with apologies—Lord knows if he has ever actually given one apart from this moment—but as you gaze into his longing silver eyes, you know that he means it.

"That hurt like hell," he laughs, "but I probably deserved it."

With a soft laugh, you lift your hand to lightly cover one of his, still warmly cupping your face.

"I forgive you, William."

Nothing about him physically changes; not his carelessly planted feet upon abruptly standing up off the couch at your arrival, not the angle of his tall frame as he towers over you, not the slight cock of his head so intently watching your expression, not his warm hands cupping your face with every last bit of affection left in his body...

But his eyes change.

As he looks into you, you feel the life return to his eyes, as if the two of you are the only ones alive.

He gently smiles before his face intensifies, then you hear as your heartbeat avidly pounds against your chest as he leans himself closer to you.

Noses nearly touching, you feel William pause to thoughtfully search your eyes before leaning in closer and almost brushing his lips against yours.

"Crash!"

Your face instantly parts from William's as both of you jerk your heads to the side at the sudden noise.

Halfway crouched, Michael sheepishly peers up as he lifts a shard of glass from the floor.

A broken vase is shattered to his left, and the guilty expression cast across his face reveals that he must have accidentally knocked it over in his hurry to come downstairs.

"I-I didn't mean to interrupt," he stutters, before fully registering how close you and William had just been to one another.

"Wait, were you guys going to kiss?"

Your face grows impossibly hot at his question, and you lift your eyes to the side before noticing that William is just as, if not more, flustered and red.

Grabbing ahold of Michael's hand, you quickly lead him out of the living room and through the foyer, too embarrassed to meet William's eyes behind you.

"I think it's bedtime," you laugh nervously, opening the door to his room and guiding him inside.

Michael laughs at how flustered you are, reaching his hand to feel your hot face.

"...y/n, do you like my father?" he asks innocently, sweetly smiling at you.

Blushing all over again, you mumble a string of incomprehensible words before tucking the young boy into his soft, blue bed.

"Okay, okay fine!" he giggles, as you kiss his forehead while adjusting his comforter.

"You can just tell me tomorrow," he winks, causing you to dramatically roll your eyes.

"Goodnight, Michael," you smile, watching his big, blue eyes begin to close.

"Goodnight, y/n..."