Chapter Twelve

"I believe you."

Stunned, your mouth gapes as you motionlessly stand there.

'How is that possible?'

"Y-you do?"

William squints his eyes at you before sighing, and lifts himself off the edge of the desk.

Momentarily turning his back to you, he navigates around the side and hesitantly seats himself in his office chair.

"For the most part," he says, eyeing you closely.

"I myself am not immune to the idea of... supernatural events," he states, keeping his gaze fixed on you before looking off to the side.

You swear you could see some kind of malicious intent in his eyes as he spoke, and it sent shivers throughout your entire body.

"What does that mean?" you reluctantly ask, already regretting your decision to question him.

A grin of insanity forms on his lips as he slowly looks up at you, cocking his head to the side with darkened, crazed eyes.

"Do you really want to know, love?" he asks, amusement somehow emulating from his otherwise stern expression.

You stand frozen in place as he addresses you, unsure of what to say.

'Is he... mentally unstable?'

Silence ensues for just a moment before the startling sound of the clock chiming to signify the new hour breaks the tension.

William softly shakes his head as he escapes from his daze, his eyes lightening to their usual pale silver color.

Upon noticing your speechless expression, his lips smirk slightly as he lowers his face to yours, holding himself at your eye level.

"Oh, darling," he snickers, almost mockingly, "no need to be so frightened. It's not like you'll find out, anyways."

'"Find out" about what?'

His condescending words irritate you, but you bite your tongue.

"Anyways," he says, returning his tone of voice to its usual charming self as if nothing had happened at all.

"You said you travelled here to 1984 through the last hallway door?"

Nodding, you watch as he thinks to himself.

"Hmm, I wonder why it would be that door..."

You shrug before tilting your head in curiosity.

"What is so special about it?" you ask, innocently.

He looks away in thought, as if hesitant to answer you.

"Both times I have opened the door," you continue, "all I could see was a staticky void of blackness."

Listening intently, he studies your eyes as he tries to understand.

"So I have never actually seen the room inside," you finish, watching as he leans back in his chair.

"Well," he eventually says, thinking to himself, "that door leads to the safe room."

"Safe room?" you inquire, confused.

"Yes... it is one of the only rooms hidden from cameras, and consequently the animatronics."

'Animatronics... are those the furry-like things?'

"Oh, well what's inside?"

He sighs before looking at you.