Chapter Nine

Your eyes burn with tears as you close the office door behind you.

Knowing William's heart must be leaping with hope, your heart drops in despair.

Nervously glancing around the hallway, you place one hand on your chest and steady your wavering breaths before hesitantly turning right, heading towards 'the door.'

Your footsteps fill the silent hallway, yet feel deafening as you advance closer and closer to the familiar dark wood.

Soft panic grows with every step you take, but wanes as you periodically waver over whether you should turn back.

But your mind is resolute.

Shaking your head, you eventually clear the distance between the door and your body.

As your eyes trail from the floor, your hand trembles before slowly reaching for the door handle.

You can hear your heartbeat, pounding against your chest so hard it reverberates past your ears and fills the hallway.

Your body convulses as your hand grasps the handle, pulling to turn it ever so slightly.

'It's time.'

Closing your eyes, you just barely begin to rotate the handle painfully nestled into your hand before a flood of incomprehensible feelings overcomes you.

'What if someone sees me?

What if I don't come home in one piece?

What would I tell my parents?'

Your heart throbs as your mind wrestles.

'I want to stay here. I want to go home.

I hate him. I love him.'

No.

You rotate the door handle, feeling as the sharp edges dig into your palm.

It's turns... and turns...

Then stops.

Wide eyed, you vigorously pull the handle back and forth as it stubbornly refuses to budge.

"It's locked," you gasp out loud.

You can't believe this. How could it be locked?

You had just effortlessly travelled through less than forty eight hours ago... but now, it denies you passage.

It is incomprehensible; you just don't understand.

What you also don't understand is the inexplicable feeling of relief that overwhelms your body.

Your mind wants to be home—no doubt about it. But your heart burns to stay here...

Frozen in place at the door, you continue to tremble from a wearily pounding heart.

Hushed sounds of a man's dwindling footsteps fill the hallway, but your rapid heartbeat renders it inaudible to your ears.

Eventually, you turn around and shakily exhale, wiping tears from your eyes before gathering yourself and walking back to William's office.

Lightly knocking on the door, you hear a warm and eager voice call out to you.

"Come in, my love!"

You softly slip yourself inside, watching as William gets up from his chair and approaches you.

Seeing his face, your heart flutters.

You are still undoubtedly angry, but the thought of possibly losing him made you realize that maybe he meant more to you than you had previously thought.