Chapter Eleven

Upon parking the black car in the same 'employee' spot as yesterday, William quickly circles his way around the hood before once again opening the passenger side door, politely holding your hand as you step out.

"Bet you never thought you'd be holding the hand of someone in a man's suit," you tease, causing him to grimace his face at you.

A slight bit of tension rests in the air, but wanes whenever you'd catch your foot on your dress pants and stumble, making soft laughs erupt beside you.

Eventually, the two of you make your way inside and are almost immediately greeted by Henry standing by the door.

He smiles upon looking at your face, but a somewhat sad expression fills his eyes.

"Wow, Will!" he laughs, lowering his eyes to your body, "You couldn't find anything better for her than this?"

William laughs before turning to you, amused.

"This is what she wanted."

You wave your hands in front of you, stammering as you attempt to give an explanation.

"I can hardly handle one of you, much less two," Henry remarks, exaggeratedly rolling his eyes with a laugh before turning around and lifting a small bag.

'I guess this must be his wife's clothing.'

His brown eyes softly tear up as he gazes down into the bag, strands of dirty blonde hair falling into his face.

"I don't really have a need for these anymore," he eventually says, moving his sad eyes from the floor to you, "so I hope they work for you."

You can't help but feel so sorry for the poor man, despite not knowing him or his wife very well.

Henry weakly smiles as he hands the bag over to you, watching closely as your grateful eyes silently thank him.

"I am sure I will love them," you smile back, "you are too sweet, Henry, thank you."

He nods before turning to William, straightening his red tie and shifting his tone of voice.

"There are a few items we should go over, would you be able to drop by my office today?"

William slightly hesitates after hearing his question, turning to you.

Absentmindedly staring at the large, purple bunny on stage across the room, you snap out of your daze upon feeling two sets of eyes on you.

'Was that... blood?'

"What—oh, no you should meet with Henry," you say, motioning your hands, "we can talk about... whatever it is you wanted to talk about later."

Though your words may have simply seemed to come from a place of politeness, part of you feels relieved you won't be stuck alone with William in his office again.

Before he could open his mouth in resistance, you enthusiastically wave goodbye to Henry and quickly escape out of sight to William's office.

Sighing as you fall into the spacious velvet chair, a warm feeling overcomes your body as the soft plush sides hold you.

You have been in his office twice now, but both times you kept your head down, refusing to notice the room around you.

As you look up, your eyes curiously follow the pattern of the mauve wallpaper, and you can't help but feel you've seen it before somewhere.

Suddenly, your heartbeat races in realization as you observe the deep brown walnut desk in the center of the back wall.

"This is the same room as right before I travelled," you gasp out loud.