Chapter Eighteen

The two of you spend most of the night in each other's arms, only pausing to stroll around or greet the occasional person who recognized "Mr. Afton."

Maybe it is because you finally had an excuse to, but you hold yourself especially close to him each and every time you dance.

Resting your head on his chest, you laugh softly as you look up at him.

"Is something funny, love?"

You shake your head lightly before laughing again at his confused expression.

"You are quite popular, Mr. Afton."

He raises an eyebrow at your words, and an amused smirk crosses his lips while swaying you in his arms.

"Mmm, you should call me that more often, dear."

You let out a questioning "oh?" as you put your head back down onto him, smiling to yourself.

As the evening carries on, you catch yourself yawning increasingly more often, feeling as your eyes become harder to keep open.

William notices this, and parts from you momentarily in order to say goodbye to Henry nearby.

One of the only times you've been by yourself tonight, you keep your heavy eyes down as you wait for him to return.

"Oh! Hello again, y/n," an airy voice calls.

You look up to see Clara approaching you with a soft smile, lifting one hand to fix her blonde hair before resting it down to her side.

"Hello, Clara," you politely smile back.

Although quite a bit older than you, you have to admit that she is pretty... and seems kind from what you can tell.

"I hadn't heard that my Will had a new girlfriend," she responds, keeping the same lighthearted expression on her face.

''My Will?' If only she knew how he despises her...'

Though you know you aren't actually his girlfriend, you decide to comply with his story.

"Oh yes, well we haven't been together for all that long."

"I see," she says, studying your eyes as she thinks to herself.

"Well it would be nice to get together some time, wouldn't you say?"

You have little desire to ever "get together some time" with her, but nod your head in agreement.

"I have to get going now, but nice to see you again!"

She smiles as she walks away, leaving you unsure of what to think of her.

'She seems so friendly...'

Your thoughts are interrupted as William meets back with you, gently leading you through the grand house and into the courtyard entrance.

You yawn as he helps you into his car, leaning your head back onto the headrest in exhaustion from the long night.

As your eyes close, you keep visualizing yourself pressed up against William, looking into his silver eyes and feeling the warmth of his body.

How he held your waist, then the side of your face... sending shudders throughout you as he leans himself closer to you...

'If only the rain could have waited, maybe we would have...'

A soft chuckle comes from beside you as you snap out of your daze.

"What?" you ask, lifting your head as you sit up straighter.

"Nothing," he laughs, "you're just smiling an awful lot over there."