Chapter Twenty Three

"I... believe you."

The words leave your mouth without registering in your mind first, but it doesn't matter.

It's true.

Your eyes finally meet his, the darkness dominating them stares right through your face as if it were glass, effortlessly passing into the room behind you.

The grin of insanity sweeping his lips falters as he blinks several times, watching tears fall down your terrified face.

You now know for yourself the horrors of the man you are terrified to admit to yourself... you had started to fall in love with.

His dark tranced eyes lighten to his natural pale silver as he watches you cry, unable to hold your tears in any longer.

Very gently, he lifts one hand to the back of your head and guides it into his chest, his other hand softly rubbing your back.

"Shhh, my love," he coos, reassuring you in his arms.

You shouldn't feel comforted, not after everything he's done, but you are so overcome in this moment.

Your feelings of hurt and resentment are cast aside at his warm touch, his endearing words into your ear.

At least for now, you don't fight against it, you simply let him hold you.

You sit with William in this way for awhile, until an inevitable wave of sleepiness washes over you, a quiet yawn leaving your lips.

"You'd better get some sleep, y/n," he whispers, lifting your head from his chest.

Wordlessly nodding, you feel as he slowly parts from the bed and pulls the mauve sheets and comforter back, helping you get inside.

He looks down at your face for a moment before leaning down and lightly kissing your forehead.

With a quiet "goodnight," he turns towards the door, barely having grasped the handle when he hears your soft voice call out to him.

"William?"

His name escaped your mouth as more of a question than an address, despite you not meaning it to.

"Yes, dear?"

Shyly, you bury the side of your face into the lace pillow, looking away from him.

"Could you... stay here with me?"

His face reddens slightly at your request, he hadn't been expecting you to ask him that.

You bite your lip at the silence in the room, completely embarrassed of what you just said.

"I-I just don't want to sleep alone tonig—"

Just before you could finish, the warmth of his tall body can be felt beside you, shutting you up instantly.

Heat rising to your face, you move over a little and allow him to get fully inside the bed to your left.

"Is this okay, love?"

You are beyond flustered at how close he is to you, but breathlessly manage to lightly nod your head in response.

"I think you are enjoying this more than you let on, y/n."

A smirk crosses his lips as he scans your deep red blush.

"Am not, Afton!" you manage to gasp, turning your face away from his.

He chuckles softly at your denial, amused by how hard you try to resist him.

"Goodnight, love," he whispers, watching sleep overcome your body.