Chapter Thirteen

With that, he steps out of the car before opening your passenger side door and escorting you out.

As you exit the car, an excited Michael runs into the garage and wraps his hands around your waist, hugging you tightly.

"I've been so bored here, y/n," he groans, "and I have missed you!"

"Aww, Mikey," you respond, hugging him back, "of course I have missed you too!"

You watch as his face suddenly shifts from delight to frantic excitement, and he turns to his father before grabbing your hand and pulling you into the house.

"I didn't have much to do today, apart from playing with Elizabeth, so I decided to make us dinner!"

Before responding, you look to William and watch as he shoots you a silent look as if to say "oh no."

"Oh, that sounds... great!" you hesitantly say, doing your best to sound genuine.

'Any dinner made by a ten year old couldn't be good...'

As he practically drags you into the kitchen, your eyes widen at the mess of pots, bowls, and dirty utensils on the island.

Before you can look any longer, Michael sheepishly runs in front of the island and extends his arms in order to block your view.

"Over here," he nervously laughs, leading you by your hand to the kitchen table.

Scattered across the kitchen table, a motley arrangement of completely random food could only be best described as resembling the Charlie Brown thanksgiving feast.

Holding back laughter, your eyes scan the line of half-burnt toast, pretzels, bagel bites, microwave popcorn, and caprisuns squeezed into wine glasses.

"What the hell, Mich—" William starts to say upon seeing the mess on the island, but is interrupted as you jam your elbow into his side.

"My gosh, it's... wonderful," you exclaim, watching as Michael's eyes light up.

"Well, I got a little too excited and already ate," he admits, guiltily looking to the side, "but I'll leave now so you two can!"

'Uh, do we really have to eat this?'

With a smile, he runs to the staircase before stopping to look at both of you.

"It'll be like a date," he mischievously grins, sprinting to his bedroom.

Your face reddens as you turn your head from William and look back to the messy kitchen table.

"Well," you eventually hear him groan, "my son can be extremely tiresome at times."

"I think it's sweet of him!" you respond, laughing as you pick up a popcorn kernel from the floor.

With a sigh, he rolls his eyes before walking over to the refrigerator and searching the freezer.

"Do you like shepherd's pie?"

You nod after thinking for a moment.

"Really anything is fine with me."

He lightly smiles before pre-heating the oven and carefully placing the pie inside, then yawns as he passes into the living room and plops down on the couch with an exasperated sigh.

'Well, I might as well start cleaning this mess up.'

For the next twenty minutes, you clear the kitchen table of its 'meal' and the island of its countless dirty bowls, pots, and pans.