Chapter Twenty One

The wood floor feels cold under your bare feet as you walk through the foyer.

You had just put Michael to bed, and with little Elizabeth soundly sleeping in her room, only you and William remain awake in the quiet house.

The grandfather clock chimes as you pass by it, contentedly informing you of the reasonably late hour.

It is cold in the house tonight, as per usual, and you feel goosebumps creeping across your skin under the somewhat thin polka-dotted pajama set you are wearing.

You enter the living room with small steps, watching as William looks up from the couch towards you.

"Your pajamas are cute, love," he comments, subtly looking you up and down.

Shaking slightly from the cold, you give a soft "thank you" while sitting down in the oversized armchair.

"A movie is on if you'd like to watch," he offers, lifting the remote from the glass coffee table.

'Gosh, it's been awhile since I've seen a movie.'

"Sure," you smile, shifting your attention to the boxy television.

Not even ten minutes have passed before an especially strong shiver passes through your body; 'dang, his house is cold.'

"Are you cold, dear?" William chuckles, not even having to look up from the television to notice.

"No," you deny, feeling your cold body contrast your words.

"You're shivering, love," he says, a bit of worry visible in his words.

"Why are you sitting over there all alone? Come sit with me."

Your face blushes at his gesture, but you really don't want to be a bother.

"It's okay," you respond, nestling yourself further against the armchair.

"That wasn't a request, dear."

Without warning, he walks over and scoops you into his warm arms, carrying you against his chest as he heads back to the couch.

Your face grows hot at his touch, and his body so close to yours instantly makes you shiver from nervousness rather than cold.

William keeps holding you when he sits back down, gently rubbing his large hands across your arms in an attempt to warm them.

A completely flustered expression cast across your face, he snickers slightly as you struggle to thank him.

"Say 'thank you, Mr. Afton'."

Your heart flutters with thousands of butterflies as you hear his words playfully mocking you, your eyes widening.

Clearly pleased with your reaction, he smirks smugly while looking at you expectantly.

"T-thank you, Mr. Afton."

You are beyond embarrassed, your face blushing excessively.

Satisfied, he looks away from you and towards the television as if nothing happened at all.

'He is such a tease.'

Apart from the movie you didn't recognize on the television, the night ends as quietly as it began, with you eventually drifting off to sleep.

♡~~~♡

Wrapped in a warm plush blanket, you yawn as your eyes flutter open upon hearing a sound from the kitchen.

"Good morning, dear," William says, lifting his gaze from a newspaper to you on the couch.

"Good morning," you tiredly respond, adjusting a little before closing your eyes.