CHAPTER 2

Chapter 2: Evangeline and A Rogue

A rogue went berserk on me today. It's eyes looked crazed and blood driven. To say they smelled bad was an understatement. I am a rogue too, but my smell was never like them and I somehow do not know why.

Along with this rogue's scent came something else, something weird that prickled my nose.

Lust. The rogue seemed to have wanted to mate, unfortunately it was with me...

I had jogged on the ground on my way to one of the near-by pack's territory when this rogue jumped in front of me snarling like a mad woman. I would've puked if I wasn't used to encounters like this. I've lived for 215 years after all trying to survive on my own.

It pounced on me mistaking me as a weak she-wolf. I side-stepped it's attack and swiftly bit his neck til I heard bones crack, the rogue fell limp on the ground.

I told you to stay up the trees, said my wolf.

I am a wolf not a chipmunk, I argued.

You look like one, she said and blocked our link. I frowned at this. Grumpy ass wolf...

I am not a coward, the alpha blood in me proves so. I can and I will fight and never bow down for anyone. My poppa raised me so.

I remember the day when I first saw my poppa sparring with our beta. I asked him then, "Poppa, why are you beating up Beta Anthony? That's bad!" I was only 5 and a half.

He kneeled in front of me and held my hands in his saying, "someday dear, there will be bad guys who will try to hurt us and the pack. We must get stronger to care for our people."

"Hurt us? Bad guys? Bad wolves, Poppa?" Little ole clueless me asked, curiosity gleaming in my eyes.

"Yes dear, and many more other creatures." He said.

"Why do they want to hurt us, Poppa? Did we do something bad?"

"No dear, but the world is not always rainbows and unicorns-", he said.

"Unicorns don't exist Poppa, Momma told me so." I cut him off and drank the glass of milk I was holding.

"I guess so dear, but what Poppa means is that the world can be sad. You will understand when you're big and wise like your Momma, dear." He said and ruffled my hair.

"But I want to be strong and brave like you too, Poppa! And scary-looking like Beta Anthony too", little me said as a-matter-of-fact.

"Hey! I'm not that scary..." Beta Anthony scoffed.

Poppa's booming laugh made me pout as he wiped the milk stain off of my cheek. "When you get a little bit bigger dear, Poppa will teach you to be strong and brave and scary-looking like Beta Anthony."

Poppa hardly got the chance to train me though. He and my Momma and the rest of the pack were snatched from me for a reason I have yet to uncover. Poppa did get to show me some tricks he said that we could do.

I stopped at the edge of the Sunset Pack's border and masked my scent, one of Poppa's many tricks. I snuck through some shrubs and stealthily made my way to the training grounds of this pack. This was how I learned how to fight. I sneak from pack to pack observing how they fight and trying their styles on my own. You could say I've become versatile with the tactics I've learned over the years.

I remember the time when my Momma and Poppa were arguing. Poppa hid from Momma and masked his scent.

I was a sneaky little mouse though so he did not notice me silently eating my bread in the kitchen.

Poppa hid under the kitchen sink. Curious as I am, I quietly walked to Poppa and jumped in front of him under the sink. He made this high pitched sound like a squeak.

"Poppa you sound weird. What are you doing?" I asked. He held his chest and breathed in and out.

"Well you're quite a sneaky mouse dear, you'll give me a heart attack when I'm old and wrinkly." He composed himself and looked around the kitchen before answering me. "I'm hiding from your Momma dear, she's a bit blue in the face right now."

"Could she not smell you, Poppa?" I asked tilting my head sidewards.

"Ha!" He exclaimed. "Not right now she can't! Now shush dear, or Momma will both kick our butts."

I made a zipping motion across my mouth and Poppa laughed. Suddenly, the curtain of the kitchen sink drew open revealing a very pissed Momma. Me and Poppa both looked her way, though Poppa looked like he had seen a ghost.

"Momma's face isn't blue, Poppa..." I whispered to Poppa confused.

•••
I hope you enjoyed reading :>
-Kve