CHAPTER 27

Chapter 27: Evangeline and A Cup of Iced Coffee

A few more months passed by in a whim. The two packs coped with each other despite some disagreements here and there.

Meanwhile,

"Are your troops ready yet?" Vyctor spoke into his phone in a hushed tone.

"Almost. Just make sure you keep them diverted from us. We will infiltrate them soon." The person on the other end of the line said.

"How soon? When exactly?" Vyctor egged on seeming to grow impatient at the vagueness given to him.

"It's better you don't know Alpha Sinclair. That way, none slips your lips."

"Don't you think I'm in this too deep to let anything slip? I'm not an idiot, Rolf." Vyctor said, irritated. The person only laughed and hung up the phone.

Although pissed, Vyctor succeeded in keeping his anger at bay. He walked towards the conference room, where Evangeline was discussing changes in patrols with her warriors.

"Good for you to join us, Alpha." John greeted him as he joined the table.

"How many more were reported missing, John?" Asked Evangeline as she hunched in her sit, head in her palms.

"10 wolves from our pack." He answered.

•••

If these abductions continue, it'll be a huge punch to our pack. Our numbers are already small, we can't afford to lose more. Not with the rogue problems we're facing right now.

Why is it that only wolves from OUR pack go missing? My wolf and I thought.

As if reading my mind, Jacob leaned on the wall behind me and asked, "Are there any missing wolves from your pack, Alpha Vyctor?"

"Not that we're aware of." He answered.

"Shouldn't that be something you'd have to be sure of, Alpha?" Jacob's tone was laced with skepticism.

"Watch your tone, dog! I do not tolerate disrespect." Vyctor scoffed.

"Besides, don't wolves disappear all the time?" Angus stated which earned him confused looks. "I mean, they find their mate and decide to elope and all that."

He's not wrong, but wolves don't necessarily have to elope since mates are not frowned upon within our packs.

"Doesn't make sense though." Said Lisa with her hand on her chin.

"Why not?" Angus said.

"Why would they need to elope?" Lisa retaliated.

"And why only our pack and not yours?" Jaxon pressed on, his heated stare directed at Vyctor.

"Are you insinuating betrayal from our pack, mutt?" Vyctor snapped standing up from his chair.

"We're not insinuating anything, Sir we're only asking pertinent questions." Lisa defended.

"This room seems too tense for a meeting right now, Alpha. Maybe we should rest and relax first for a while." John said, breaking the ice. I nodded.