CHAPTER 39

Chapter 39: Evangeline and Little Aris

Evangeline was sweating blood. The whole situation with the feral rogues have intensified as the weeks went by. The pack was restless and there was nothing she could do but fret. Her massive bump prevented her from doing much. Any day now she would be popping out their pup.

Harris was always kept on his toes. Between protecting his mate and pup, managing both packs, and beating up rogues, he did not know how he was juggling it in his hands but to his own surprise, he was juggling it.

Each attack slowly becoming more grotesque than the former, the rogues were coming from all directions of sentinel territory. Evangeline's wolf thought it sucked that the Lunette Crescere had to have chosen an area surrounded by unclaimed land with the nearest neighboring pack treating them with little hospitality due to a certain Alpha's greed for land. She wasn't saying it was Vyctor, really.

"The council insists you stay at the Council Chambers for now, Evangeline." Mason tried to convince her but he hadn't swayed her even the slightest.

Even the Lunette Crescere's defenses were weakening. The Sentinel Wolves were tuckered as the battle seemed to become a daily thing. Evangeline could feel the frustrations seeping within the pack link like vibrations to a web that makes her bounce in the middle of it all.

"No, Mason. The pack needs their Alpha." Evangeline said, standing her ground.

"But Evangeline, it's not safe here for you and your pup anymore! Look out the window, a rogue or two kees slipping nearer and nearer to your pack house! You need to go." Mason said, running his hand through his already tousled hair.

"Mason, I said no!" Evangeline uttered, harshly. She looked over to Harris who sat on the bed, looking at his fidgeting hands on his lap. Harris was considering Mason's offer.

"Harris can handle everything here, Evangeline. With you in the council chambers, he wouldn't need to worry about a rogue slipping in here to attack you." Mason continued as he noticed Evangeline glancing at Harris.

Harris sighed as he neared Evangeline and held her hands. "He has a point, Evangeline."

"You too? What, eager to get rid of me already?" Evangeline shot as she retracted her hands out of Harris' and turned her back on the two.

Harris wrapped his arms around Evangeline and nestled his face on the crook of her neck where his mark laid. "Please, my love? You and our pup will be safe away from here."

Evangeline faced him and caressed his stubble-covered jaw. "I don't want to leave you..."

Harris chuckled and smiled lovingly. "It's only for a little bit, love. Just till I kill every rogue that threatens our pack."

Evangeline couldn't help hugging Harris tightly. "But–"

"For our pup?" Harris cut her off. Evangeline sighed and nodded. The couple embraced for a while. "Take care of my mate, Mason."

"Of course, the council has a soft spot for the moon blessed wolf." Mason replied meaningfully.

Harris escorted them westward, where the least number of rogues were spotted. Their presence was not ignored by the few rogues though. A quarter away from the border, they were already being chased making the three of them shift to their wolf form. Mason up front, Evangeline in the middle and Harris snapping at the rogues behind, occasionally growling in warning.

Evangeline pushed her legs despite her cramping bump. At the border, Evangeline hesitated to cross. She was however pushed out the border by Harris' wolf.