CHAPTER 10

Chapter 10: Evangeline and Her Lack of Sleep

It's been months since I convinced Loriana to convince Grumps to let Jace join the pack. He doesn't leave my side much now though. I train him a lot and he'd grown quite strong.

I lower myself in the tall grasses around me with little to no sounds. My wolf form stalked at any sign of movement around her. Her ears spiked up signaling she was alert.

I saw one of our wolves signaling towards a direction. We cautiously crept towards it and we see rogues. There have been reports of much more rogues lingering around our pack borders.

We've reported these sightings to the council and have made them aware of the increasing number of rogues we spot around the borders. They're almost big enough in numbers to be considered a pack.

The council said we technically can't attack their base since at the moment we were not really provoked and attacking them might mean destroying treaties and laws with regards to rogues. A rare moment when both me and Alpha Grumps agreed that they're boiling both our bloods.

Secretly, I've been venturing out at night killing rogues that I can to lessen their numbers, but I guess their leader caught on as he sent a package to Grumps a few nights ago informing him of a random attack that if not stopped, they will attack earlier than expected.

We don't really know what they want or what their purpose of posing war on us is. They lack specificity too. At this point, it's a guessing game.

I was about to sneak out to kill for the night once more when I heard footsteps toward my door. I scramble out of the hooded clothing I wore and jumped into my bed just in time as Loriana stepped into my room.

"Evangeline..." She whispered quietly. She looked like she was about to go to bed but her worried face said otherwise.

"Yeah, something the matter, Lori?" I asked, sitting up. She sat beside me in my bed fiddling with her hands.

"Can I sleep here?" She asked shyly. "Vyctor's still in his office and I'm worried. You know with the threats from the rogue group."

She laid her head on my shoulder with a sigh as she continued.

"I'm scared for my people, I'm scared for my kids, I'm scared for you, and I'm scared for Vyctor. I don't want to lose all of you. I don't want to lose my mate." She said as a single tear rolled down her cheek.

"You won't lose him, he'll do anything to fight for all of you." I assured her. "He's your mate and he still has children and a future full of grandpups to live through."

"I sure hope so, Ev." She says with a tinge of hope now in her tone.

"Besides, bad weeds don't die easily." I state, seriously which made her chuckle.

Later that night, I stirred when I heard my door open. I looked over to see Vyctor walking over to Loriana's side of my bed. I squinted my eyes at him as they were still blurry from sleep.

He motioned for me too keep quiet and to go back to sleep before taking Loriana -who was in a deep slumber- into his arms. She snuggled closer to his chest and he walked out of my room, closing the door with a smile.

Huh Alpha Grumps smiled, I thought to myself.

Must be your lack of sleep, my wolf said with a yawn.

The morning came and I woke up too early for my liking. I met a slightly frowning Loriana on my way to the kitchen. I guess early morning weren't her liking too.

"You know I find it unfair..." She said as we took our seats on the kitchen counter holding plates of eggs and fried rice. Oh and of course a daily necessity, coffee. "We've known each other for months now, yet it seems I know little about you, Ev."

"Well what do you want to know?" I took a spoon full of food and downed them with a big sip of coffee.

"I've told you about me and my mate before, what about you, Ev? Whare and who's your mate?" She asked. A bitter smile formed on my lips with her question.

"What, I look too old to be a bachelorette?" I joked trying to change the subject.

She looked at me with all seriousness. "Kidding aside." She said with an expectant tone.

"I haven't found my mate." I said with a sigh. She looked shocked.

"Wait, and how old are you?" She asked.

"225 almost six." I answered honestly. She spat her coffee all over the table. "Now that's just gross, Lori."

"I'm sorry." She said. I just laughed bitterly.

"And looking not a day over 25, aren't we?" Vyctor butted in emerging from the stairs. He sat beside Loriana with a rug in hand. He kissed her before cleaning the mess.

"Jealous, aren't we Alpha?" I said with a smug smirk. He scoffed and threw the cloth into the sink.

"You're nearing the age of the oldest wolf ever recorded. You'll be out of my hair soon." He said jokingly which earned him a slap from Loriana.

"Vyctor!" Loriana said before realization crossed her. "But he's not wrong. The oldest wolf was well over 300."

"Ha! Not very good riddance, Alpha. My ancestors happen to live abnormally long." I laughed.

"How long?" He asked, intrigued.

"Maybe over a thousand." They looked at me like I had two tails.

"Then where's your pack?" Vyctor asked.

"Wiped out by a rogue attack."

"And your parents too?" Loriana asked.

"Yup", I said popping the 'p'. "It's just little ole me now."

"Since when?" They asked.

"Since I was a giddy little child aged 10." I answered.

"And your mate?" Asked Vyctor since he missed half our discussion.

"I'm starting to consider the possibility of being mateless since it's already been well over 225 years." I said after drinking the last sip of my coffee.

"A little too late for my liking." I said before walking out to train with my warrior friends.

What if we're really mateless? My wolf asked. I could sense her worry.

Then we continue living. We've already survived 225 years of existence, multiple wars, a rogue life, and a grumpy alpha. What's another 700 plus more years...

My wolf gulped at the thought of that.

•••
I hope you enjoyed reading :>
-Kve