CHAPTER 37

Chapter 37: Evangeline and Her Origins

"There once was a legend telling the tales of wolves that yielded strength like no other, with it, speed and power. Wolves that could stand on two feet." The old lady said as she stared at the moon up above.

"They were created by the Moon Goddess to guard her with their life as many had threatened her safety and her creatures that time. They were said to live with the Goddess herself up above." She pointed to the twinkling stars that shines all around the moon.

"What does that have to do with -" Evangeline was cut off by the old lady.

"Patience is a virtue, Alpha. I am old and this legend is quite long. At my age I am nowhere near being in a hurry, unlike you younglings."

Evangeline scoffed, "I'm four centuries old. You still think I'm young?"

"May I please continue?" The old lady said as she eyed Evangeline.

"Fine."

"There were three packs blessed by the moon to harbor these wolves, the Lumin, the Mensis, and the Sterno Regere." This finally caught Evangeline's attention. " Yes, the legend is true and it is our pack."

"Wait, you're from my pack?" Evangeline asked, skeptical.

"Yes, although I am not one to leave the comfort of my house very often unless needed be." The lady explained.

"Why?" Evangeline egged on.

"Like I said, I am old." The she-wolf answered.  Evangeline finally understood and so she only nodded.

"Continuing on. These three packs were isolated on a continent they could rome freely where the moon rose the closest to. And as they were the strongest of the wolf species, the Goddess gave them the duty of helping the other regular wolf pack by sending wolves to them in times of battle."

Evangeline recalled the time when their own Gamma was sent to aid a pack back then. She was very upset to see him go. He was the one who looked after her when her Poppa and Momma were busy and so they were very close. That time, she didn't understand why he had to go.

"But great power did come with some harsh responsibilities. When the time came that the chosen wolves were summoned by the Moon Goddess to her kingdom, the wolves would have to leave behind everything they had and had built. It is inevitable." The lady said.

"A fate of grief and loss. A fate of greatness and sacrifice." Evangeline whispered. "Why me?"

"Your Father and Mother knew ever since you were born as well as the elders. Every chosen wolf has a different mark than those of their pack. Your Father had a different mark as well." She said as she met eyes with Evangeline.

Evangeline couldn't help looking up at the night sky. She missed her Poppa and Momma dearly. "Poppa is up there?"

The old lady nodded as she continued the legend. "One from each of the three packs are summoned by the Goddess at a time-"

"Where are the other two then?" Evangeline asked.

"They were killed when we were still held captive by the rogue group. The Goddess has already called upon them then." The she-wolf answered. She reached out to hold Evangeline's hand. "It is an enigma to us why you were not summoned along with them, but we are thankful you are with us till now. It is sad what you have had to go through at a young age to get where you are now, but know that it is what made you how you are today. A great Alpha."