CHAPTER 18

Chapter 18: Evangeline and Her 466 Years of Existence

466 years of existence. Two more centuries had passed since I found myself living in the cave I once resided in.

466 years of being mateless, and 466 years of hiding in the forest. You must be wondering how I do it. Well it does take a patient person to be a patient wolf to ever make a patient werewolf at all.

Things have changed since the last two centuries. Modernization has also crept its way into even the hidden crevices of the world. The era of Technology has penetrated the lives of even the super naturals such as us werewolves.

Smart phones, internet, and other gadgets now where made available to even us. It wasn't perfect, but at least it made some of our life easier.

But as we must all be aware of, modernization gave rise to some bad things too. Humans started requiring more lands for their masses. They tore down the forests and destroyed many habitats, killing of the inhabitants.

And of course, when one group of arrogant humans stumbled upon the likes of us, all hell almost broke loose. Luckily, the problem was negotiated quite fast that lead to some treaties being signed. Still, only a few know about our existence and we would very much like to keep it that way.

In the midst of my pondering, my phone vibrated in my pocket. I picked it up as I recognized the caller id.

"Hello, John. What's up?" I asked my 2nd in command. No we are not a pack. I refused to be forced into it.

It was one faithful day that I was forest hopping away from a rogue pursuit when I found myself at the same land I ran from when I was only 10 years old. The borders of Sterno Regere, my former pack.

The atmosphere was glum in every nook and cranny of the land. The air hung heavy, and the ground still faintly stank of death. The grass was brown and the trees seemed lifeless.

The ruins still stood proud -courtesy of the skills of the sternos in building- and strong as before yet ghastly. Faded stains covered most of the stone walls and moss covered the rough surfaces. It was truly a ghost town.

Yet what caught my attention was a line of smoke coming from one of the ruined houses. I made my way towards it, curiosity eating away at my system.

You know, curiosity did kill the cat. My wolf butted in.

Lucky for you we're a wolf. I snarked. She huffed and kept quiet.

"Hello? Anyone there?" I called out. I know, idiot move but before I could scold myself for my own stupidity, I was surrounded by about twelve white wolves all snarling at me, ready to bite my pie hole off.

In a blink of an eye I shifted to my morphed form. There was no way I could take on twelve wolves all at once in wolf or human form. This way, I still had a chance.

I slowly spun around, snapping my jaws at anyone of them who tried to snap at me. Having had enough of it, I growled loud and dominant. They instantly drew back and stopped snarling.

They still gave me suspicious looks but some of the weird ones gave me the look of recognition. They looked at each other and nodded.

I was too focused on keeping an eye on the ones who gave me suspicious looks that I had not noticed one of them shift and pin me to the ground.

"Behind her ear!" I heard the guy who was pinning me down yell.

"Get off me!" I snarled as I sent him flying off of me.

I quickly stood up, but was stunned to find them all kneeling around me. What the...

"You came back for us, Alpha!" One of the elders exclaimed as she hurried towards me. I flinched when she suddenly hugged me tight.

"Who are you and why are you kneeling in front of me?" I asked. No one answered.

"They won't answer until you acknowledge their bow of respect, deary." She said.

"Oh...uh... You may rise?" I announced unsurely. They all stood up and were now vibrating in happiness.

"Alpha, it's so good to have you back." One of them said.

Puzzle pieces appeared in my mind and I pieced them together. They resided in my father's former pack lands. They recognized me.

Could it be?

Could they be?

Is it really them?

Before I could get lost in the memories of my former pack, I felt as though cold water was splashed on me as the pain of the memories of the horrid days I lost my packs, both my birth pack and Loriana's, flashed in my mind.

If there was something I feared most, it was this pain. The feeling of having let all who welcomed me down. The feeling of losing people and losing bonds I've built over time. When one moment you were relishing in this feeling of belongingness and then suddenly, you're tossed once again to the feeling of being alone. Fending for yourself and trying to survive knowing you didn't do well enough. You didn't try hard enough to protect those you needed to protect. To cherish those you needed to love most.

I was afraid to feel alone again when I've finally felt happy to belong with others. It is every wolf's desire to find a pack she could tag along with. We all had that need to belong to a group.

Unfortunately for me, I was too familiar with the feeling of being alone. And to suddenly have these wolves kneeling in front of me, asking for me to stay and lead them. Glancing at me as though I was the player in this game we all played that will lead them to victory. The weight of having people depend on me despite me being a stranger they've only met a few minutes ago, and me knowing I've failed at a similar task not only once but twice. It scared the living daylight out of me.

Because unfortunately for them, I knew the feeling of being left alone all too well. I was too familiar with being a rogue that the tought of having a pack accept me only for them to be ripped away from me was enough to make me cower away and choose the loneliness rather than the sense of belonging that was deeply etched in my own instincts.

Ah... The traumas of having gone through shit at a young age of 10. It ruins you a lot.

"Uh... I think you've mistaken me for someone else." I said, confused. They're happy mood suddenly turned sad. Well shit.

Before the could say something else, I ran. I ran away from them once again. I let my instincts take over me as I got lost in my thoughts whilst running through the vast forrest.

•••
I hope you enjoyed reading :>
-Kve