CHAPTER 4

Chapter 4: Evangeline and The Pregnant She-Wolf

I emerged back to the surface and shook my head shrugging the water out of my wolf's mane. Fully clean, I got out of the river and shook more water out of my fur.

I was about to pick my backpack up out of the bush when I saw a figure beyond the bush. It was a pregnant woman. I sniffed the air to catch her scent. Yup, a very pregnant she-wolf. She didn't smell like a rogue, she probably strayed from her pack lands.

The woman bent down to scoop some water out of the river when she lost her footing and fell head first into the river.

"Help!" She yelled out having difficulty keeping up with the strong currents of the river.

I sprung to action jumping into the river after the woman. A few seconds and I reached her. I swam underneath her with my back to her chest being careful not to put to much pressure on her bump. She held onto my neck tightly.

I swam to the riverside and helped her out of the water. She was shivering so I shook the water out of my fur and huddle close to her trying to warm her up. Then something dawned on me.

Why was I helping this she-wolf?

She looked into my eyes. I couldn't take my eyes off of hers... There were something in her eyes that drew me to her. It felt like her gray eyes put me in a trance and I felt this need to protect her.

Her hands were still shaking so I snug closer to her and nestled her hands between my snout and neck to try to warm them up. She leaned into my wolf finally calming down.

Something's gonna happen, Evangeline... My wolf said anxiously I-I don't like this.

I frowned in my head when she started pacing in my mind before blocking our connection.

•••

Evangeline was helping the she-wolf stand when her ears perked up to hear the rustling of the bushes.

Fear and panic appeared in her eyes. She looked over to the pregnant she-wolf trying to make her hide with her, but the she-wolf only stared back at her. When the rustling came closer, she had no choice. She ran to hide in the tall bushes beside her backpack.

A large man came out of the bushes in his birthday suit and rushed over to the she-wolf. He carried her in his arms and walked off.

The she-wolf was still in shock, but she looked back at the wolf that saved her. Evangeline also looked at her feeling so helpless.

Suddenly, Evangeline was surrounded by three warriors with their weapons drawn at her. She panicked for the first time being the young wolf that she still was.

The she-wolf was alarmed. She jumped out of the man's arms and ran towards Evangeline.

One of the warriors saw this and was trying to make the she-wolf stand back from the rogue not realizing that he still had his weapon drawn.

Evangeline saw this and thought the warrior was going to attack the pregnant she-wolf. She charged at the warrior and mauled him to death. She did the same to the other two warriors in fear that they will draw their weapons at the she-wolf.

Startled and clumsy, the she-wolf slipped and fell into the river again.

The man made a move to rescue the distressed she-wolf, but Evangeline was faster. Without hesitation, she dove into the river after the she-wolf. She had her back against the body of the she-wolf as she clung to her. Evangeline once again swam towards the river bank and helped the she-wolf up.

The man took a step towards them. Evangeline stood protectively in front of the she-wolf shielding her from the man. She had her teeth barred and growled at the man. Her presence screaming dominance, almost making the man submit. He raised his hands in surrender trying to show her he meant no harm, but she wasn't buying it. After all, his men did draw their weapon at her and the she-wolf.

"I'm her mate, let me help her please." The man begged.

Evangeline growled louder not trusting the man's words until she felt the she-wolf's hand on her side.

"It's okay, thank you..." She said and smiled.

Evangeline calmed down at this and let the man pass. The man quickly assisted the she-wolf stand. She walked over to Evangeline and hugged the wolf.

"Thank you for saving me and my pups." The she-wolf said with watery eyes. "Do you want to comeback with me to my pack?"

Evangeline was flabbergasted. She hesitated, but she felt that pull towards the she-wolf, the need to protect her taking over her system, but she didn't want to be in another pack.

"Please?" The she-wolf begged with pleading eyes.

She looked deep into Evangeline's soul with her gray eyes. The wolf couldn't say no to her anymore so she slowly nodded her head.

The man squinted his eyes obviously against his mate's wishes. He was intimidated by Evangeline. He knew she had the blood of an alpha because so did he. He felt threatened for his position just by her mere presence.

The she-wolf grinned from eye to eye which put a wolfy grin on Evangeline's wolf. She bowed her front body for the she-wolf to climb on and hang on tight. She got ready to run but the man was suddenly in front of them making her growl.

He growled back and said, "you follow me, rogue. That is my mate and this is my pack. I am Alpha!"

"Vyctor!" The she-wolf scolded. Evangeline just rolled her eyes.

Another grumpy-ass wolf...

The man just scoffed and shifted. They made their way to the Lunette Crescere pack.

A little while longer, they arrived in the pack lands. Pack members looked with curiosity, some with disgust at the sight of a rogue.

All the attention made Evangeline anxious. She felt like she was willingly making herself a target to be killed. A hand patting her side snapped her out of her thoughts.

"It's okay, you'll be okay." The she-wolf comforted her. Evangeline let her words calm the cacophony brewing in her mind...

•••
I hope you enjoyed reading :>
-Kve