Fifty-Eight: The Circle

"I Scare Myself"

"I Scare Myself"

By: Beth Crowley

I looked to Camille, and the tormented expression on her face tore me to shreds. But this was the part where I needed to steel myself, where I couldn't care. Because the lives and future of my pack came first, not my feelings, or my needs. Theirs. I would not allow a rogue to cause harm under the guise of influence. Adam had to be dealt with, and he will answer for his crimes.

In death, as well as life.

A cold chill swept through the forest as I sat there, wondering when it would end. When would the constant fighting, death and despair came to an end? I breathed out a low breath as I stood, dusting off my borrowed clothing.

"Do not ask me to do this." Camille pleaded quietly.

I looked at Kore, at the radiant fire in her amber eyes as she stared back at me. A soft smile curved across my lips and I turned back to Camille, moving slowly towards her. She stood as still as stone up until when I reached her. Her face cracked when my hand softly cupped her cheek. I knew she was scared. Not of me, but of herself, of the damage she might cause performing this spell. It was agony for her, especially being the one to have all but dedicated to herself being my protector. Her hand covered mine, a red sheen lighting up my skin, sending warmth through my bones and healing the damage that whatever Adam had given me, caused. The effects from the poison bled away, and I looked at her in thankfulness.

"I would never force you to do something you did not want to do, Camille." I moved to step away but she caught my hand, her knuckles whitening where they gripped my skin. I lowered my voice, pouring all the passion and warmth I felt for her I could, into my words. "The decision is yours and yours alone. But I will not lie and say that I do not think you are capable. You can't live in fear forever. I know that you know this, since you are the one who first said it to me." She smiled gently, encouraging me on. "I regret that I did not find the time to truly get to know you, and for that I am sorry. I have not been the sister-in-law you deserve. I have asked and asked from you and I realize the error in that. I will not ask anymore, not even for this."

She released my hand and we stood there for a long moment. Movement shifted behind her and my gaze immediately shifting to gauge Emilee's reaction to Michael's appearance. My friend didn't give any reaction that his presence did anything to her, but I knew by the way Michael watched her that things were far from okay.

"I will think about it." She finally amended. "You will have my answer by daybreak tomorrow."

I watched her go, meeting her gaze one last time. Camille's eyes bore through me, the silver ring around her iris brightened, and only then did I notice little veins of red intertwined in their depths. And then one by one they left, leaving just Kore and I.