Forty One: The Bargainer

"Bad Liar" By: Imagine Dragons

&

"Control" By: Zoe Wees

Cathedral City was an anomaly to me the second my feet hit the sand littered streets. For starters, it was a real city, untouched and thriving from where it was nestled into the northern side of the San Bernardino Mountains, which were south of the San Jacinto Mountains. All in all the city was unfathomably well hidden, and beautifully preserved. Steepled churches carved from black stone, homes were decorated with arched roofs and made of river rock. Though it had been a huge city at one time, only a small habitual section of it dotted the scenic view I saw before me, the rest the of it lay crumbled in abandoned ruin.

The hot sun scorched through the heavy cloak I wore, slicking my back with sweat. My skin itched and burned and my wolf paced, hating every minute of this desert world.

Elizabeth, Camille, and I stood at the front of the pack as we slowly made our way further into the town. I fought the urge to look around as we entered what seemed to be a market, my sensitive hearing picking up what I was sure to be jazz music, hooked up to the poles of power lines. The streets were packed with civilians who milled about, haggling with vendors and sampling product. I almost didn't believe my eyes when I realized there were both vampires and humans mingling in the square. The sight of the two races coexisting so effortlessly nearly brought tears to my eyes. So shocked I was by the sight in front of me that I didn't realize the chatter had died down and everyone was staring at us. I bristled at the unwanted attention, the scars at my neck tingled as I bared my teeth.

Elizabeth's palm rested warningly on my lower back as a dark haired man, presumably a vampire, stepped forward and halted a few feet from us. He eyed our large group with equal parts apprehension and curiosity.

"This is a private city, state your business here." He demanded.

"We have come to see Calista." Camille drawled, lowering her hood and ignoring the gasps that rippled at her appearance. The man paid the people at his back no mind, a lazy smile filling his face.

"I'm afraid our ruler is...busy at the moment. Can I take a message?" He licked his lips, eyeing the redhead up and down in a way that screamed sleazy. I clamped my sharpened jaw shut, somehow resisting the urge to snap at him. But lost the fuck I had given when Camille caught my eye and winked in encouragement. I too lowered my hood, fighting the grin that wanted to escape as Elizabeth cursed in exasperation under her breath.