Forty Eight: Consumed

Paradise

Paradise

Meduza

&

I Found God

By: Mainland

Pure undiluted rage blanketed my vision in a dreary haze of red, the world passing me by in a blur, a sea of faces that were lost to me. My fingers curled into claws, digging into the palms of my hands, but I relished the pain. I let it in, let it ground me as I advanced on Calista, power filling my body with every step I took and building pressure inside my chest. Blood filled my mouth as my canines descended, eager for the taste of redemption. The crowd that had gathered outside the ruins of Kore's departure parted, the clearing dead silent as power bled from my pores, saturating the ground beneath my feet and bringing the wolves to their knees. The pack bond snapped back into place in my mind, a tidal wave of fear and pain slamming into my chest. I knew what it meant, but I didn't stagger.

Calista stood with her head high, unflinching, her emissary shifting nervously behind her. At the sight of her, I could think or feel nothing but murder, and when a body stepped forward not ten feet from my target, blocking my advancement, I snapped.

Thunder rocked overhead, the sound so loud I was surprised the ground didn't shake with the force of it.

"Move." My wolf spoke, my fingers flexing, nails sharpening into lethal talons. Rain sleeted from the sky, echoing the pain inside. Our mate was gone, lost to us, banished from our mind, and the one responsible would pay.

"Adam no!" A voice cried, but I didn't remove my gaze from him. The boy shook his mop of hair, his knees bowing as he tried not to crumble under the weight of the command. His face turned red under the strain of it, his neck baring in submission against his will.

"She had no part in this." He gasped, his knees finally giving out, hitting the waterlogged ground hard. "It was me."

I assessed him, the human inside of me quaking with pain at the implicated betrayal, but my wolf still held the reins. I was powerless to stop her as she stepped up and grasped his throat in our hand, the screaming voice of his brother begging to spare him, a distant sound to our ears. I slammed his weak body into the half crumbled wall, pinning him there, his legs dangling. He choked, grasping at my arm while his face turned an unhealthy shade of purple. Regret was an emotion I no longer had the capacity to feel as I leaned in until I my mouth was a hairs breath away from his ear.