Forty-Seven: A Debt Owed

"Venom"

"Venom"

By: Eminem

&

"Rootless Tree"

By: Damien Rice

I felt the wave of power before it hit, and next thing I knew the floor rocked and rolled, disintegrating beneath my feet.

Half a second ago Calista and her "council" of morons had been balls deep inside her declared speech of why she loathed Camille, and next bodies were flying through the air, splinters of wood and sharp debris sailing over and through our bodies. My back hit the wall which such force that I careened right through it and into the neighboring room, which so happened to be the remnants of what used to be a bathroom.

Pissed off and too wired to feel any pain, I crassly determined I was not badly injured and emerged through the rubble, immediately seeking out Elizabeth, each breath heaving with anxiety. My fear only tripled when I ran smack into Kore's mental block. Her mind was impenetrable, a deep gold barrier so strong I doubt even she could break through it.

I felt nothing from her, just a looming sense of deep insufferable grief.

However jaw-dropping, my fear wasn't of her defenses, it was the mass of all-consuming darkness slithering on the other side. Pure undiluted and unbelievably dark power lurked there, so much stronger than I'd ever felt before, not to mention depthless. The stark realization that there was nothing in this world or the next that would ever bring her back from this ruthless power if the darkness pulled her under, crippled me. This was a power so ancient it was born before there was a world that I now walked on, a power that formed galaxies and shaped planets.

No, not even I would be able to save her.

Shaking my mind free of my turbulent thoughts, the floor rolled threateningly once more, and I stumbled, barely managing to grip the doorframe. Dust and mold caught in my eyes and nose, dulling my senses. I coughed, spitting out a weak yell, calling Camille's name. My heartbeat thundered in my chest, knocking painfully against my ribs, but my fear eased a fraction when she suddenly appeared in front of me. A deep scratch marred one pale cheekbone, and her red cloak and dress were torn and bloody. Her hair blew back from her face like a wind-blown river of red, fitting as a roar of rage and pain blasted through the air around us, the sound slightly muted through the walls but no less terrifying.

It was Kore.

We were too late.

I looked at Camille with wide eyes and the answering look of dread on her face had blood rushing to my head. She caught me as my knees gave out and hauled me up, her grip tight around my forearms and she mercilessly shook me, her mouth moving but I couldn't hear a word she said. My consciousness wavered and spots danced behind my eyelids, the world beginning to darken around me, yet for the first time I didn't care.