Ten: Unsteady

"Unable are the loved to die. For love is immortality."

-Emily Dickinson

That's Us by: Anson Seabra

I wasn't sure if I should be shocked or amused at the way Elizabeth casually spoke about dropping her sister's mate in the ocean. But I was quite distracted with the way she was casually running her fingers along my bare thigh. I gave her a look, to which she responded with a dazzling smile, further melting my serious expression into one of complete adoration. Camille's condescending snort finally drew my attention away and causing me to narrow my gaze onto the redhead. Clutching the blanket to my frame, I sat up, ignoring the way it fell off one shoulder. Camille's eyes seemed to devour the open skin there, which frankly confused me since she already had a mate. But then the scars at my back began to itch and burn uncomfortably under her scrutiny. Elizabeth finally maneuvered herself behind me, wrapping her arms around my middle hauling me into her lap. I rose a brow at Camille as I contentedly turned my head, feeling my eyelids grow heavy.

"Something you'd like to say?" I drawled.

She shifted slightly, shooting me a look, her full lips pursed. "Your affection for each other is nauseating."

I wrinkled my nose and uncharacteristically stuck my tongue out at her as I climbed out of Elizabeth's hold, ignoring her low warning growl. Tired of their little charade and overwhelmed with everything, I stepped towards the bedroom, fully intending to leave the two sisters behind. My stomach lurched in my chest when I didn't make it that far. Before I could take another step Camille surged forward, wrapping her chained wrists around my throat while pulling me flush with her body before slamming my back against the wall, pinning my wrists above my head with one hand while wrapping her other around my throat, stretching the limits of her chain. It all happened so fast and unexpectedly that I wasn't even able to consider calling my wolf as I was too weak from shifting back to fight back. My vision flashed black and white as her fingers constricted, closing around my throat and causing panic to rise.

I fought back the waves of claustrophobia and focused on Elizabeth from over Camille's shoulder, my heart stuttering at the look of murderous rage on her face. The storm of such emotion rolled through my mind, the force of her anger too much for her to contain. Her fangs were lowered as she breathed in and out, fighting for control. I bucked and struggled in my panic, trying to kick her away from me but my strength was too diminished. "Let go!"

Camille's lips brushed my ear as she spoke. "Calm yourself." She warned and I just glared into her alien eyes as I swallowed, hating the way my body went limp in her arms, every muscle screaming. I tried not to think of the last time I had been vulnerable like this, spitting in her face instead, enjoying the anger crossing her eyes.

"Go to hell." I snarled, allowing my canines to lengthen. She chuckled, turning to face my enraged mate, completely unafraid. "I don't wish to harm the girl, Elizabeth. Just tell me where Michael is and I will let her go."

My mate's black eyes were unwavering. "You forfeit your life the second you laid your hands on her. What you demand is of no importance to me." She sneered, tossing her mane of hair back. I choked and gasped as Camille tightened her hold even further around my airway, clawing at her hand with my own fingers. Elizabeth's expression darkened even further as she stepped forward, her voice shaking with barely contained rage. "Don't." She warned, hissing through her fangs, a note of desperation in her voice.