Thirty One: Cursed

No Matter What By: Callum Scott

Running with the wolves at my flank, their fur brushing mine and their hot breath steaming the air, was a freedom I hadn't yet known I needed. I loved the feeling of their warmth against my sides and the way my powerful muscles bunched and rolled as we leapt over fallen logs and splashed through creek beds. My wolf and I were one now and in this moment I couldn't remember what it felt like to be human.

Until I did.

My mind kept replaying that final scene where the being inside Elizabeth had awoken and stroked my fur, watching with black eyes as we ran into the night. That raw ravenous power was unlike anything I had ever felt before.

This thing inside of her was no longer smoldering.

No. Now it was a roaring fire; awake and alive and too much to wrap my head around. So I retreated into the woods, taking comfort in the damp soil beneath the leathery pads of my feet and the white wolf beside me, her thick fur fluffed up and bright. Overcome with sudden curiosity, I lowered the wall in my mind by a millimeter and stretched out, connecting with her mind. I tried not to shiver, but her essence was as cold and biting as the pack she was known for.

"Emilee?"

Green eyes flashed to mine, her muzzle stretched into a lupine grin, moonlight glinting across ivory fang.

"Yes, my queen?" Her voice was light and airy in my mind, so contradictory to her ruggedly powerful appearance.

"Elizabeth-," A slight tremor of hesitation escaped my mind at her name, nicking a strand of the pack bond. In an instant my father was beside me, his black face tinted with grey and his blue eyes lined in worry. I reinforced the walls around my mind and internally sighed. He flicked an ear back in question and I responded with a low whine. Worry for my mate ate at my soul and spread fear through my mind.

Elizabeth had power like no one has seen before only it seemed like this power had its very own consciousness. I knew this of course, since that same power had been in me before. I knew what it felt like first hand and how it connected us and how I would never be free of it now that we are completely intertwined. However, knowing this didn't make me understand it and if anything it only made me all the more wary of her.

Overwhelmed with my thoughts, I fell back through the wave of wolves, my paws finding purchase on the stone surface of a narrow cliff. Furred bodies sailed ahead of me, blowing my fur every which way. My father and two brothers stopped for a few seconds, Castile's little brown paws scrambling as he barked at me. I bared my teeth, a warning growl rumbling in my throat. I needed to be alone, needed a second to make sense of everything that had happened in the last five hours.