One: Crucifixion

"When you play the game of thrones, you win or you die."

-Cersei Lannister

The night was blisteringly cold as we ran, bare feet hardly making a sound as we dodged tree roots and stumps, anything the forest tried to throw at us. An eerie chill worked it's way down my spine as I glanced over my shoulder, pulling the hood of my cloak further over my face. A warm hand slipped into mine, accompanied by a pair of soft brown eyes. I tried to smile back at her, beyond grateful for everything she'd risked and done for me. But the crippling pain in my chest and the numbness in my mind distracted me. I blew out a deep breath and spurred myself forward, towards home. Elizabeth was no longer a part of my world. She made her choice, now I had to live with it. It was hours later, nearly approaching dawn, when I finally allowed the camp to settle down for a few hours of rest. I stared into the stream, taking in the stranger that stared back. Her hard, soulless eyes and gaunt features were not recognizable to me. We'd been running from the northern kingdom for nearly a month now. My back was nearly healed, thanks to what little of Elizabeth's blood I had been forced to take before I escaped the dungeon. But even with the added supernatural element, it was excruciatingly painful to shift, even more than usual.

"My lady." Emilee murmured, her voice barely a whisper. "I believe we have a visitor." My heart twisted in my chest as I snapped my head up, immediately catching a flash of her white hair just before she melted within the trees.

Glancing at my Lead Warrior, she nodded once. I knew she'd hold down the fort for me, and call if something was wrong. I cursed. My mother was supposed to be long gone by now, not trailing behind us. I walked a little ways, stopping to cock my head and listen. The sounds of birdsong and elk seesawing their antlers, trees snapping under their weight, was a relief. I shook my head as she finally stepped out where I could see her, my eyes widening at the state she was in. Blood spattered her face and neck, trailing down her clothes, coating her hands in the thick, sticky liquid. I waited a moment longer for her twin to appear, but nothing happened. This troubled me, my aunt was not exactly trustworthy. But after a moment i accepted that the crazy witch wasn't going to turn on us if my mother was in charge. With a low hiss I grabbed her forearm, towing her towards the sound of the river. The roaring rapids should cover the sounds our conversation.

"You're supposed to be across the country by now." I half-whispered half-snarled, crossing my arms over my chest as she dipped her hands into the stream. She splashed her face and neck, cleaning the blood from her face. The absence of the dirt and dried blood lit up her pale, ethereal features. Her cold and slightly red-tinged blue eyes met mine as she came to stand in front of me, the icy-ness of her skin causing me to shiver as she tipped my head to the side, exposing my mess of a throat. Shutting my eyes, I tried to block out the feelings and memories of that night. The night I'd given the last true piece of myself to the woman I loved. The betrayal cut deep as my mother's fingers gently probed the deeply bruised skin. A glint of madness, followed closely by rage passed through her eyes as quickly as a shooting star, there one minute and gone the next. Her lips parted, revealing her fangs as they slid down, grazing the bottom of her lower lip.

"She will come for you." Her words were a lisp, distorted by the presence of her vampirism.

I narrowed my eyes, forcing the words out through clenched teeth. "I am aware. Once I get these people to safety, I'll go back to ward her away." My throat closed up at the thought of facing my traitorous mate. I wasn't sure what I would do if I found her, and I wasn't ashamed to admit that I was scared shitless.