Sixty Two: Evolution

"All the angels are gone son. There's only devils left."

-Yellowstone, John Dutton

Bleed For Me

By: Escape The Fate

&

When We Stand Together

By:  Nickleback

PART I

Wind whipped around the dark clearing, deep shadows wrapping around us, sending unease throughout my wolves. It rose like a pungent smell in my mind, a call of fear. I soothed them with a gentle push of emotion, trust. Many of them sent pictures back, and I smiled to myself, turning my attention back to Camille. She waited patiently, informing the wolves of what would take place, and answering their questions with ease. I was grateful for that. I needed a moment to breathe this in, and to absorb what it meant for me and the future of my race. I wasn't doing this for power. I was doing this to start fire under Ravenna's ass, to let her know that she will have one hell of a fight on her hands when the rest of the packs unite. We would not go fleeing into the night. We will liberate every last slave, or die trying.

"Yes, we will." Elizabeth's voice was a rough whisper in my mind and I smiled as her fingers ran down my back, glad to have her with me.

"Soon you will have both of us." Persephone purred.

Startled, my gaze flicked to Elizabeth's and the telling glint in her eyes told me they had definitely cooked up a little more than what was supposed to be served at this gathering. I narrowed my gaze and she chuckled under her breath, shifting so that my back was to her front as her fingers trailed down my spine, brushing my tailbone. I shivered with pleasure, snapping back to the present when Camille answered the last question. Her eyes were blood red when she finally looked at me, small tendrils of magic streaked across the surface of her skin, glowing eerily as if they were alive. It was beautiful and terrifying. Red magic pulsed and writhed around her as she stepped up to me, brushing the hair back from my cheek. She searched my gaze, her fangs lowered. I could feel Elizabeth tense behind me, her hands warm where they gripped my waist.

"You know I would never hurt you." She stated abruptly, searching my face. "Not like this, not ever."

My brow furrowed but I knew now was not the time to be funny. I took her hands in mine, and a flash of what looked like guilt crossed her eyes. I assumed it was due to the fact that she would have to bite me. But I also knew it was because of what I had been through. My heart warmed to know she'd considered my consent. I touched her mind and she let me in, the unwavering trust I felt for her brushing against the vast power within.

"Of course. I trust you with my life."

She nodded, pleased. "Going forward I need you understand. This is an intimately violent process, it will test the loyalty of your mates, as they will have to bear witness to the marks you will forever wear from this day forward."

I could feel the anticipation skittering down my back, and it made my hands sweat with excitement. I wasn't a bit nervous. This what I was born to do, protect my family and my race. A little pain won't stop me. A smirk formed on my face as I kissed Camille on the cheek, my fangs achingly present in my mouth for once. Her red eyes met my yellow, crinkling at the corners.