Forty Five: Persecution

"That's the thing about pain, it demands to be felt." -John Green

"For The Lover That I've Lost." By: Sam Smith

&

"Young" By: Sam Smith

My steps were light against the cracked marble floor of the church cathedral, my back ram-rod straight as I strode into the room, taking in the scattered benches and remnants of Michael's capture. I ignored the chaos and faced instead the pew, or where one would've been. I fought hard to rein in my anger at my future sister-in-law, both because I had never felt such anger towards her, but also because she was centuries older than me and I would not win. But reason left my mind when I met her eyes from where she had herself draped across Michael's bare chest, his body resting along the length of the one remaining bench in the room. Camille's mind greeted mine warmly, nearly shaking my resolve, but I held fast, a muscle in my jaw clenching. Her eyebrows raised and her features stiffened into concern, her gaze raking me over head to toe while Michael eyed me out of the corner of his eye.

"What is it?" She tried to push past my mental barrier but I forced her back.

"This is her?" I heard him stage-whisper, a coy grin working his mouth even as she elbowed him in warning.

"Somehow I thought she'd be....well, older."

Kore's dark and lovely power flowed through my mind like warm honey, strengthening me from the inside out. My eyes itched and burned, my mouth curling into a sardonic smile. My spine tingled and I knew without confirmation that Elizabeth was in the room, hidden in the shadows.

"And here I thought you'd be more attractive." I deadpanned, staring hard at him.

Michael simply laughed. "I like her."

Camille finally managed to peel herself off of her half-naked mate and approached me, her slender fingers reached for a wayward strand of hair but stopped short at the snarl curling across my lips. I forced myself to push past her hurt expression and focus on the bigger picture, the future of my pack.

My voice sharpened into what Jacob liked to call my "queenly tone" when I fully-faced the pair, locking my hands behind my back. Michael watched me with something close to fascination, like a rare species of insect he'd suddenly come across and couldn't stop staring at. My body bristled at the unwanted attention and from deep inside the shadows an answering growl rumbled back.

"As amusing as your childish behavior may seem, I am afraid I have no time for it. That being said, I have a matter to discuss with Camille." If my indifferent tone offended her, she didn't let it show, choosing instead to mask her emotions. That was fine with me. If I was going to be the queen my pack needed me to be, I had to be willing to make sacrifices. I just wasn't sure what the ramifications of those sacrifices will be.

"Alone." I clarified when he continued to lay there, unbothered and clearly unmotivated to obey.

"Michael." Camille softly prodded, a blank look spreading across her eyes. My jaw ached as I ground my teeth together, tension and rage an unruly combination, yet no less alluring to my wolf.

"Fine." He sighed, heaving himself off of the couch, his eyes meeting mine just before he left the room, a warning flashing across their depths. "But I won't wait long." Blood spurted into my mouth as I bit my cheek, desperately trying to keep the retort at bay.