Nostalgic Connection

Rose awoke.

But she didn't open her eyes.

Her ears picked up everything, but so far the only thing she could hear was soft thudding and the wind howling.

She remembered that she dreamed of a woman. Although it was too blurry for her to make out any features.

Suddenly, her ears picked up a sound. The sound–an irritating little child voice.

"...ey."

Rose didn't answer.

"...hey."

Rose still didn't answer.

"Hey!"

Rose finally snapped out of it.

She opened her eyes wide and what greeted her made her freeze on the spot.

There, standing near her head, is a little girl looking down at her.

The girl's stare was empty and almost irritated.

She was frowning at Rose.

Rose sat up. "Wh-where am I?" she asked as she turned around to look at the girl.

The girl wasn't behind her anymore.

Rose turned her head around to find the little girl but then suddenly, the girl reappeared in front of her. Rose jumped back in shock.

"What the hell!?" she shouted as she jumped to her feet.

The child rolled her eyes at her. Rose was definitely taller but that didn't change the fact that this child just teleported.

"What? First time seeing a bioweapon?" the child almost seemed amused at her reaction.

Rose frowned back while standing to her full height, "What are you talking about? Where am I?"

The child shook her head at her with another eye roll.

"Am I dead?" Rose asked and the child stayed quiet.

"...I don't know. I just found you here." the child answered before looking up at Rose's eyes.

"Who are you, then?" Rose asked as she went down on one knee to face the child.

The child frowned at how Rose treated her but answered anyway. "Eveline."

Rose could feel herself tense.

"Is it a familiar name? Huuh, Rosemary?" the child mused. The way she said the last parts had an annoyed lilt to it.

"...Eveline..." Rose repeated, finally getting it. She once again jumps up.

"Eveline!? As in the-"

"Yeah! I ruined your parents' life! You don't have to tell me!" Eveline cut her off.

Rose backed away at that.

Ruined my parents' life?

"So anyway, how are you living now? Happy? Full of family?"

"Full of love? Care? How are they to you-"

The child was basically spamming questions at Rose.

"H-hey! Stop that!" Rose said back as the child finally stopped with a disappointed sigh at being cut off.

Eveline sighed again, "Whatever. How many years has it been, anyway?"

Rose glanced down at Eveline. "Sixteen." she said. From what she knew, it must have already been sixteen years since she was only an infant when everything happened.