|20|

1.30PM, Karl and George's apartment

George woke up with an agonising headache and fuzzy vision. He didn't understand where he was until he heard a voice. It was a muffled voice, he didn't understand the voice, he just knew it belonged to Karl. Karl's footsteps echoed in George's brain and made his headache even worse. George groaned.
"Sorry, I didn't mean to be loud." Karl whispered lightly. He slowly brought a glass of water to George's lips and lifted it lightly so the man could drink. George swallowed the water until it was all gone then he turned his head away.
"Hey Gogy, you okay?" Karl asked reassuringly while cupping George's cheek with his hand.
"I..I think I'm okay, Karl. Just a little headache."
"Mhm good, I'll stay here if you need me. Are you hungry? Thirsty?"

George sighed as his eyes adjusted to the light. The curtains were partially closed so there was very little light in the room; which was perfect for George because he was still struggling with his surroundings. He looked up to Karl and his heart broke slightly at the sight. Karl's eyes were red and his face was puffy, obviously he had been crying. He somehow looked paler than usual and more tired.

"Have you been eating properly, Karl? Or sleeping?" George asked worriedly.
Karl laughed and took his hand away from George's face. "We should be worried about you, not me! Your the one who almost died."
"But I didn't," George said, "And I still care about you even if I'm like this. Now tell me, have you been taking care of yourself?"

Hesitating, Karl shook his head.
"Then go order us something to eat, preferably Chinese? I'll be fine on my own." George smiled and lightly pushed Karl away as he spoke.
Karl nodded and stood up to leave.

George tried to get up but that only made his headache worse. He groaned which caused Karl to turn back and look at him worriedly. George took a breath in and smiled; Karl looked at him with a worried face then walked out the room to go order the food.

._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._.

It was an hour later and the two were sitting on their couch cuddling while they talked.

"So, what happened while I passed out?" George asked curiously. Karl's eyes widened.
"Well Dream escaped, but you probably could have guessed that. Tons of people died back there; prisoners, guards, doctors.. it's a miracle they didn't kill you."
George's eyes softened.

Dream spared him? George was in such a vulnerable position yet Dream didn't kill him? But the criminal had said he didn't love him, why didn't he hurt George?

Karl noticed George spacing out and he lightly tapped George's shoulder. George looked up to him with tears in his eyes.

"Oh Gogy." Karl hugged the tired brunette quickly while George began to cry. He gripped onto Karl's sweater and heavily sobbed.
"I could have died Karl! I could be dead right now."
Karl rubbed George's back and whispered reassuring words into his ear.

Throughout the rest of that day George continued to wonder why Dream hadn't killed him. He thought it was to do with time at first, but he quickly crossed that idea out once Karl told him Dream had killed another 50 people in the hospital before making his leave.
George had tried several other possibilities as to why Dream didn't kill him, but all all had some flaw that wouldn't work.

What was it about Dream that made it so hard for George to understand him?

————————————

Word count: 615