Chapter 23

Authors note: hope you're all enjoying the progression of Melody and her friends

A few days later, Melody, Naruto, Sakura and Ino were sent on a mission to the sand village and Naruto wasn't having any of it.
"I hate how hot it is! And why do we need to help the sand? Shouldn't they do the mission?" Naruto whined, Melody shook her head as Sakura and Ino both scowled in annoyance.
"Stop moaning Naruto, we're here on the mission." Sakura snapped, Ino nodded.
"You know how hot the village gets you should have changed outfits." She scoffed, Melody sighed and squinted as she spotted a familiar red head. Her cheeks reddened however she shook the feeling away and shot her arm up over her head and began waving.
"Hey Gaara!" She yelled before grabbing Naruto and pulling him with her. Ino and Sakura exchanged looks before picking up their pace and following Melody to meet up with Gaara.

He glanced up at her and watched her as the team ran towards him. He inhaled quietly as she came to a stop in front of him, her hair flicking back as she stood back up, her eyes sparkling bright as she smiled at him. He was silent, why did he find it so hard to talk around her? Naruto stepped in front of Melody and grinned.
"Alright Gaara! What's the mission?" He asked, Gaara teared his eyes away from Melody to look at Naruto as Ino and Sakura stopped next to Melody, they both looked at each other a confused look shared between them as Gaara explained the mission.

The group sped through the forest.
"That escalated quickly!" Melody shouted as they continued, Ino nodded in agreement.
"This was not what I had in mind when we were given this mission!" Ino yelled, Melody panted heavily, Naruto dove next to her as a huge log went flying passed and smacked into another tree causing it to fall. They had met with the bandits and found one was gigantic and incredibly crazy and strong.
"Keep going!" Melody shouted, she jumped to the next tree and ran alongside Gaara.
"What's the plan?" She asked, Gaara blinked and shook his head, he was struggling to come up with anything. Sakura slipped and Melody grabbed her arm and pushed her on ahead.
"Uh guys!" Naruto yelled, they all glanced up to where he was pointing and they could see a huge cavern. Melody glanced around and pointed towards the trees that created a bridge across it.
"That way!" She said everyone nodded and ran faster as the stomping got louder, Sakura and Ino made it across, and Naruto watched as another log went flying in their direction. Melody's eyes widened as it went for Gaara, she pushed him forward and the log landed behind Melody causing her branch to break. Gaara's eyes widened in horror and he shot out his hand.
"Gaara!" Melody reached out but their hands missed and she fell. Gaara watched as Melody disappeared into darkness.
"Melody!"
Gaara turned around and glared at the enemy before throwing his hands forward and the sand swept passed him and wrapped around the enemy tightly. The enemy laughed loudly as the sand coiled around his neck.
"And just like always you are still a monster Gaara. No mere friend is going to change that. You will always be hated in this village. In any village!" He roared out, Gaara stopped and lowered his gaze.
"You're damn wrong!" Naruto jumped down and pulled Gaara forward gripping his cloth tightly. "You had better save her Gaara! We faced each other, you hurt her! You're here now because you wanted to change! I've watched you and her and how much she's grown on you! How much you want her to accept you!" Naruto yelled, punching Gaara for good measure before turning to the enemy. Sakura and Ino jumped down onto the branch, Sakura turned to Ino and Naruto.
"Our captain has disappeared, Naruto, Ino you stay here. Gaara and I will save Melody." Sakura said with determination, Naruto raised an eyebrow but nodded as Ino pulled out her kunai knife.
"Let's do it! Gaara save our friend!" Ino smiled before jumping forward and throwing her kunai forward, "Go!"
Gaara and Sakura nodded before jumping down and following the ever-present darkness. 

Meanwhile back in the village, Clay was at a meeting. He stared at the man with a walking stick, his expression blank as the man pulled out a scroll.
"Clay you have a mission. A long mission that will see you away from the village." The elder man said, Clay raised his eyebrow, he felt the shadow watching him and he nodded slightly.
"What is it?" He asked,
"I want you to keep an eye on three of our threats to the village." He began, Clay took a step forward, the shadow watching him grinned wider with every word.
"Orochimaru, Sasuke and Itachi Uchiha. I want you to infiltrate the Akatsuki and find out what their plan is. If you have the chance kill them. This way, Melody will not fall to them, and we can keep the village safe." He said, Clay nodded and stood up.
"I will prepare myself for the Akatsuki." He declared,
"Is this a mission you wish to have?" He asked, Clay didn't respond as he headed out, the shadow followed his grin never faltering as he found the most powerful member to join the Akatsuki.