Chapter 25

Authors note: Clay is a pain.

It had been a few days since Clay had left the village and the news had spread like wild fire. No one spoke to Melody about it as her expression became vacant and dull. Melody had accepted that Clay had left but she wasn't the same, she had lost her spark and she was going through notions. Melody strolled along the village until she came to a stop in front of Ino, who held up a grocery bag.
"Hey Ino, you okay?" She asked, Ino nodded and glanced to the side, her cheeks turning red.
"I was wondering if you and I wanted to have dinner together." She asked, Melody tilted her head to the side and nodded.
"I'm free now and Kakashi isn't home, wanna come back to mine and I can cook something?" She said, Ino nodded and the two girls engaged in conversation as they headed to Melody's house.

Ino stared at Melody who was currently stirring food.
"So... you and Sasuke..." Ino began, Melody tensed, and kept stirring.
"Are you sure you want to know?" Melody asked. Ino nodded,
"He left the village... and.. I know it's hard but I really want to know what happened with you two. After what Yaya said..." she explained, Melody nodded and stared at the food.
"Alright then, as you were probably aware Sasuke and I were childhood friends and I lived with him for a while before that day... but we had stronger feelings for each other until after his meeting with his brother." Melody watched the food bubble and turned down the oven. "During the chunin exam we found out that we are betrothed." Melody stopped and Ino lowered her gaze. "That's the short of it and I would like no one else to know, and since he's gone..." Melody turned to Ino, her eyes closed and a smile on her face "it's kinda over." She said simply Ino's eyes widened as Melody slowly turned back to the food.
"Alright foods ready!" She said, Ino sighed softly.
"She really is strong and so accepting... she could have married the hottest guy in the village and he even cared for her but she's willing to let it go." Ino thought, she stared at Melody and clenched her fists. "She's amazing." Ino thought as Melody dished out the food for the two of them.

The next day Melody was in the Hokage office. Tsunade's eye twitched as she stared at Melody and her two teammates.
"Say that again." Tsunade dared, Melody leant over the table her eyes focused in a scowl at Tsunade.
"I'm not doing that mission." She muttered, Tsunade exhaled angrily. Shizune stood by her mistresses side and sighed sadly.
"Every time..." She thought to herself, as she waited for the explosion.
"THAT'S IT YOUNG LADY! AS YOUR HOKAGE YOU WILL EITHER GO ON THIS MISSION OR SO HELP ME I WILL MAKE YOUR LIFE A LIVING HELL!" Tsunade yelled, Yaya and Kaiya flinched at the sound of the Hokage's angry voice. Melody snorted and stamped her foot.
"Bring it!"
Tsunade's eye glistened, an idea forming.
"Fine, I'll tell Baki that you don't want to go help the Hidden Sand Village. I'm sure Gaara will be understanding." She sneered, Melody's eyes twitched as Kaiya and Yaya sniggered.
"That's one way to hit below the belt." Yaya whispered, Tsunade smirked and leant back in her seat.
"So Melody, this mission will take you through the Hidden Sand. Spend some time there, and get the mission done." Her eyes narrowing on the auburn haired child. Melody sighed and waved her wrist.
"Fine, granny." Using Naruto's favourite nickname for Tsunade, "I'll be heading to the sand now! See you all later!" And off she went, Yaya and Kaiya giggled as Shizune watched as Melody disappeared and Tsunade smirked.
"There was no mission was there Lady Tsunade?" Shizune said, Tsunade leant back in her seat and nodded.
"No, she's getting more and more troubling. She needs a break, and I think Gaara is a perfect distraction." She mused, Yaya pouted.
"I should have gone too." She whined, Lady Tsunade shook her head as Kaiya patted her friends shoulder.
"No, I think she needs some time by herself with different people." She said softly before turning to look out the window.

Gaara rolled his eyes as he walked through his village, he had spent a while in the Leaf previously and now being at home, he felt empty and a little sad, it troubled him as he couldn't quite understand why he was feeling like this. He slowed his pace as he felt the eyes of the villagers on him. He sighed inwardly and kept going.
"Gaara!" He stopped and turned around, her bright hair reflected the sun as she came to a stop in front of him breathing heavily, she bent over before standing up straight smiling at him. "I'm glad I caught up." She said breathlessly, "Temari said you were somewhere in the village." Gaara raised his eyebrow but stayed silent. "Oh, I'm here on a mission... kind of... Lady Tsunade let me." She scratched the back of her head sheepishly. "So wanna show me around the village?" She asked, causing Gaara to double take.
"You want to go around with me?" He asked voice low. Melody nodded once before slipping her hand through Gaara's folded arms,
"yeah, time's a wasting!" She laughed, Gaara slowly allowed the girl to pull him along, he could feel the stares of the villagers but for once they weren't in hate or anger but in curiosity. This girl was willingly holding onto Gaara and he was letting her.