Chapter 12

Alaska's P.O.V

I sighed, as I sunk deeper into my pillow.

A sneer on my face was directed at the blistering sun which pierced through the glass of my window. It snuffed out any hope of getting more rest from my brain, and replaced it with disdain.

Each new day felt like waking up in a frozen pond filled with piranhas. Not only was I drowning, but I was also being eaten alive. The horrific feeling only doubled in size due to my worsening mental state.

I frowned, I really missed Hawaii. She was so light-hearted, wholesome, and hopeful during these trying times. However, now that she was gone, so was her persistent happiness.

The rest of us states were devoid of any real emotion, and anything we did express was a masked version of our thoughts. Not one of us liked it here anymore. It had all become too controlling, it wasn't like when dad was here...

I missed him. Ever since his death, we all regretted that we pushed him away, because he was gone for good. We, inadvertently, caused him to die.

My legs shifted over my bed, as an unruly grunt followed my actions. Over the last three years, I have thought about our past a lot. I used to be so untrustworthy; cold if anything. Slowly but surely, I thawed out, and we became close. Really close. I practically clung onto him at every opportunity that I got.

However, then Hawaii came along. I was originally jealous of my little sister, since I was sure that she was dad's favorite. But, as soon as he assured me that she wasn't and that he still loved me, the two of us started to get along. That evolved into being like best friends as well as sisters.

Now, Mexico took her and Delaware away. I was worried for my sisters, but I knew that Delaware would go to the ends of the Earth to protect Hawaii, and Hawaii would do the same.

A knock on my bedroom door tore me away from my thoughts, and I whipped my head to the wooden frame, "Yeah?"

It cracked open and a new light illuminated my room. The shadow of another state cast down onto my floor, as they stepped in, "Hey, Alaska."

"Wyoming, what do you need?" I asked the boy. The other states didn't often come into my room, because it was sort of out of the way, so this was unusual.

"Sorry to bother you so early..." He mumbled, as he shut the door closed. "I just, this has been on my mind for a while, and I know that the others wouldn't care as much as you would, so yeah."

His speech was fast and fragmented, as if he had trouble getting the words out of his mouth. I patted the space next to me on my bed, "C'mon, sit down and tell me."

He graciously accepted my offer, as he plopped down and started to sputter out his thoughts.

"Well, um, yesterday in the late evening, I overheard a lot of things...First, there was some yelling from downstairs. I think that there was an escape plan that got interrupted, because there was a lot of ruckus. After that, I got scared and ran into my room. Then, when I thought it was safe to come out again to get a glass of water, I did. However, when I went down, I heard Cabi talking to herself in her office. I heard so much..."

I was starting to worry for my brother. His hands were wobbly, his eyes spasmed in every direction, and his talking was fast, almost to the point of incoherent ranting.

"Hey, hey...slow down. So, some of us were caught trying to escape , you were scared off, you went back down after a while, and you overheard Cabi talking. What was she talking about?" I questioned, after I had relayed the information.