Chapter 21

America's P.O.V

"Kiddos, dinner is ready!"

"Thanks, dad! Don't you dare put more pepper on my plate again, Frorida!" New York threatened the sneaky state, who had already opened the pepper cap.

"Try and stop me." Florida challenged, while he tipped the bottle forward, only for it to be snatched away by Idaho.

She sighed and shook her head, "Not again, I just want to have dinner in peace for once. Is that too much to ask?"

As the words left her mouth, another brother accidentally rammed into her back. This sent the flakes flying into her food. Idaho groaned in annoyance.

"Whoops, sorry sis." Louisiana apologized, as he picked up his plate andran from his ticked-off sister.

"Oh for fucks sake!" She cursed.

"Language." I hissed, while I grabbed my plate and made my way to the dining room.

"Free speech." Idaho retorted, as she walked off with a vendetta.

I shook my head, as I maneuvered between the fleet of states that came rushing in from all directions. Chatter hammered me from all angles, and I loved it. The rush of conversations that arose during dinner always amused me, since it seemed like everyone had something to say.

I mean, they were raised to be that way, so it made sense.

The plate in my hands was now on the table, and I was sitting down in one of the chairs. A fork rested in one of my hands, while a blade covered the other.

While I was busy sawing through my food, a state sat next to me.

"Hey, Alaska, thanks for helping out with dinner today, it's delicious!" I exclaimed to the gentle giant, who gave me a small smile.

"It's really nothing, you did most of the work." The blue starred state pushed aside. "So, thanks."

Our conversation spiraled out from there, we spoke of all sorts of things; the latest movies, what petty arguments were going on, and just about how our day was going. She was doing well from what I could tell. She told me that Connecticut and Maryland got into a heated debate over who had it worse regarding some natural disaster that hit them.

"Oh, hey Hawaii." Alaska greeted her sister, who slumped down into the chair next to her.

"Hi." She responded without much of a thought. She began to slice up the food on her plate.

A tiny groan escaped between my lips, Hawaii had really changed since Cabinet's control. I hadn't seen it at the time, but she had become overly attached. I loved it then, but now she's realized just what exactly Cabinet did to her. She was manipulated by her. Ever since she's come to terms with that, she's been trying to distance herself from everyone out of fear.

It's quite sad. The most optimistic one out of everyone here, had fallen the farthest due to the trauma placed upon her.

I gulped down a frown from taking over my face, "How are you?"

"Okay, I guess. Haven't really done anything other than read." She answered

All of a sudden, amidst the countless conversations that were happening, I heard the front door creek open, and some stomps echoed through my home. I nearly sprang up out of my seat, when a familiar voice entered my mind, "I'm home!"