Chapter 17

America's P.O.V

Tick.

Ten more minutes until he would be back.

Ten more minutes of unbearable boredom.

A sigh escaped my lips, as I buried my head into the pillow between my arms. This was the fourth time that we had to move bases, just so that we weren't in the threat of bomber planes and the incoming army that was advancing rapidly. Fields were burned, cities laid in ruins, and it looked like an ancient civilization that had succumbed to the onslaught of war. Smog clouded the land with misery, as the people lost their faith in their government to protect them.

It wasn't like anything that I had seen before, this war-torn world. It was something straight out of nightmares, yet it was real.

I feared for the worst, that he would end up just like me. However, whereas he could do something about it, I couldn't. The people in Massachusetts were already being pressured from all angles to conform and join the COS, but they were holding out hope. I couldn't put more strain on them, that would be unfair.

Would I care though?

No, I cared about my lover more than my citizens.

That was the sad thing. I valued one life over thousands.

Another groan echoed in the back of my throat. My mind was a constant barrage of criticisms that I couldn't escape. It held me prisoner on the account of reason, and I crippled under it's cruel fist. My decisions etched out a path of destruction, while I left victims in my wake.

Nine more minutes.

I shook my head and eventually plopped my chin on the stuffed headrest. The wings on my back stretched out, remained there for a couple of seconds, and then fell back to my sides. I was tired of sitting around with nothing to do and nobody to talk to. My phone, as well as Russia's, was destroyed in the first attack, which was over a month ago. The only way that I could get ahold of my littlest, my brother, or my two eldest was by phone.

Of course, the place I was staying at now had one, and I usually went down with my partner when he got back, but they weren't always up. I tried for the past three days to catch them when they were awake, but it was to no avail.

He comforted me when things didn't go as planned.

Speaking of things that didn't go as planned, word about me being back had started to circulate around the globe. Rumors of why and how I had come back spread like a dangerous wildfire. I felt them haunt me when I was alone. The thought of strangers across the world speculating about me was terrifying.

And don't even get me started on the people who obsessed over my relationship...it was scary how crazy their minds got.

Eight minutes.

I rolled around on my stomach, as I tried to relax, but I couldn't stop a troublesome feeling from coursing through my veins. The more I ignored it, the stronger it became.

A frown graced my face. What was it? I couldn't put a finger on my feelings or what they stemmed from.

"Ugh..." I groaned. I sat up, let go of the pillow, and sat on the edge of the bed.

My eyes suddenly lit up with realisation.

"...don't you think something is a little unfair?"

"...he is doing everything, and you are just simply riding on his shoulders..."

"You have done nothing..."