Chapter 77 [~|~] The Earth King

Aang held onto Appa as the rest of the group looked out at Lake Laogai for any signs of the Dai Li or Long Feng. "I missed you more than you'll ever know, buddy," Aang whispered into Appa's fur as Momo flew over to hug Appa as well. Appa raised his head to lick Aang, causing the airbender to laugh loudly.

Sokka walked over to Azara, Katara, and Toph, who were all lounging around on the ground. "Look, we escaped from the Dai Li. We got Appa back. I'm telling you we should go to the Earth King now and tell him our plan. We're on a roll!" Sokka suggested, causing Katara to shake her head.

"One good hour after weeks of trouble isn't much of a roll," Katara pointed out, but Sokka remained optimistic, smiling widely.

"We can build on it. If we want to invade the Fire Nation when the eclipse happens, we'll need the Earth King's support," Sokka pointed out as Azara stood up, dusting herself off.

"What makes you think we'll get it? I don't know if you've noticed, but things don't usually go that smoothly for our little gang," Toph sighed from her place on the ground.

"I know, but I've got a good feeling about this. This time will be different," Sokka tried again, but no one else seemed to share his optimistic spirit.

"Sokka, Long Feng is in control of the city. His conspiracy with the Dai Li is too powerful. I think we should just keep flying and leave this horrible place behind us," Azara stated, crossing her arms over her chest.

"I'm with Azara. I've seen enough of Ba Sing Se. And I can't even see!" Toph exclaimed, throwing her arms up in exasperation.

"But now that we have Appa back, there's nothing stopping us from telling the Earth King the truth. About the conspiracy and the war," Aang spoke, walking over with his staff in hand.

"See? Aang's with me," Sokka smiled, wrapping an arm around Aang as the two sent identical smiles at their friends. "It's the whole reason we came here in the first place. We have to try," Sokka added, glancing around the group.

"Well, I guess if the Earth King knew the truth, things could change," Katara conceded as Toph stood up from the ground.

"I don't trust the new positive Sokka. Long Feng brainwashed you, didn't he?!" Toph accused, causing Azara to crack an amused smile, before sobering as she noticed the ships combing Lake Laogai.

"That's probably the Dai Li searching for us," Azara sighed, before turning to the group, who looked at her expectantly.

"So, what do you think?" Sokka questioned, causing Azara to pause before smirking.

"Let's go 'pop in on the Earth King,'" Azara joked, referring back to Joo Dee's phrase.

Without another word, the group piled onto Appa's back and took off for the Earth Kingdom palace. As they flew through the air, Azara kept a hold on Toph, who was holding onto Appa's fur for dear life. "Can we please buy a new saddle? Riding bareback is terrifying!" Toph called out as they neared the palace.

"There it is! The whole thing is the palace! The Earth King's chamber should be in the center!" Sokka announced, pointing at the structure in the distance.

"We have to be careful. Long Feng's probably warned the king that we're coming," Katara reminded the group, yelling over the noise of the wind.

"Why would you assume that? If you ask me, I think we're just going to sail right in and—" Sokka stopped his statement as Appa dodged a rock, screaming out in surprise.