Chapter 111 [~|~] Sozin's Comet (Part 3: Into the Inferno)

Azara stared up at Sozin's Comet, which had just started to enter the atmosphere, with an anxious expression. Katara glanced between Zuko and Azara, noting their similar looks of concern.

"Don't worry, you two. We can take Azula."

"It's not her I'm worried about. I'm worried about Aang. What if he doesn't have the guts to take out our father? What if he loses?" Zuko wondered, staring ahead.

"Aang won't lose. He's going to come back," Katara insisted somewhat confidently.

"He has to," Azara added grimly, following the Comet with her eyes.

*|*|*|*|*

Meanwhile, in the control room of a Fire Nation airship, Sokka, Suki, and Kesuk watched as Aang and Fire Lord Ozai battled in the distance with amazed expressions. "Go, Aang! Airbending slice!" Sokka cheered, setting down the telescope and slicing his arm down.

"Shouldn't we help him?" Suki asked, glancing out the broken window. Sokka turned from the fight outside back to his friends.

"The Fire Lord is Aang's fight. We need to stay focused on stopping that fleet from burning down the Earth Kingdom."

"And how do we do that, Captain Boomerang? I can't see outside of this floating hunk of metal," Toph pointed out, crossing her arms over her chest.

Sokka glanced over at the other airships before turning to the others with a wide smile on his face. "Airship slice!"

"Is he normally this crazy?" Kesuk whispered to Toph, who shrugged.

"You get used to it."

Sokka took over the controls, pushing the airship higher into the air as they tried to catch up with the other airships. The firebenders aboard the other airships started to release sustained fire blasts, burning the landscape below them.

"Whoa. That's a lot of fire, isn't it?" Toph asked, leaning on the ship. She stared down at the fire, feeling the insane heat radiating off of the blasts even though she couldn't see them.

Sokka spun the wheel hard as they hovered just above the other airships. Pulling another lever down, he steadied the ship before driving it forward again. "It's gonna be a rough ride! We need to get to the top of this thing. Fast!"

Sokka grabbed Toph's hand, tugging her along. Suki and Kesuk pulled up the end of the group as they rushed through the airship. "Then what?" Suki called, running beside Toph.

"Watch each other's backs, and if we make it that far, I'll let you know."

Suki and Kesuk shared a concerned look before following after Sokka and Toph. They managed to reach the ladder to the roof before their airship crashed into the others. Suki led the way up the ladder as the airship started to break away. Sokka narrowly missed getting pulled into the debris of the crash, before hurrying to catch up with the others.

"Alright, now what?" Kesuk asked, helping Sokka up onto the roof.

"We try not to fall to our deaths!"

Sokka, holding Toph's hand, led the charge to the front of the airship. As Sokka and Toph reached the front crown of the airship, a large crack appeared in the ship, dividing the group into even halves. Suki and Kesuk fell back, their part of the airship separating from Sokka and Toph's part.