Chapter 34 [~|~] Jeong Jeong

Aang directed Appa back to the forest. They landed and set up camp in a clearing, settling around a fire as Chey explained himself.

"I serve a man. More than a man really. He's a myth, but he's real, a living legend. Jeong Jeong the Deserter. He was a Fire Nation general, or wait, was he an admiral?" Chey rambled, getting off track.

"He was very highly ranked, we get it," Sokka mumbled, annoyed.

"Yeah! Way up there! But he couldn't take the madness anymore. He's the first person to leave the army—and live. I'm the second but you don't get a legend for that. That's okay though," Chey shrugged, turning to Azara. "Are you the first Fire Nation princess to run away?"

"Uh . . . to my knowledge," Azara guessed, shrugging her shoulders. 

"Jeong Jeong is a firebending genius. Some say he's crazy, but he's not. He's enlightened," Chey continued, holding his hands up in the air.

"You mean there's a firebending master out there who's not with the Fire Lord? We've got to see him; he can train me!" Aang shot to his feet, excitement clear on his face.

"No, you aren't ready, Aang. You haven't even mastered waterbending, which brings me to my next point. Our first objective is getting you to the North Pole, not to chase after some myth," Azara stated sternly, her hands folded in her lap.

"Besides Azara can teach you! She's a friendly firebender," Sokka pointed out as Azara sighed.

"I'm not a master like Jeong Jeong is, but I have enough experience to know that learning firebending is not what's best for you now, Aang," Azara explained, her expression calm. She was almost starting to sound like her uncle. "Fire is not forgiving. I don't want you to hurt yourself or anyone else." 

"But, Azara—" Aang was cut off as several men appeared from the woods, spears drawn.

"Don't move," a man demanded, sticking a spear in Azara's face. The group stood up slowly and were led back to a camp by the men.

"Jeong Jeong told you not to look for the Avatar," Lin Yee snapped, pushing Chey forwards as they reached the camp.

"You know these guys?" Azara asked, looking between the men with spears.

"Oh yeah! Lin Yee's an old buddy! Right, Lin Yee?" Chey smiled, but Lin Yee was not similarly amused, pushing Chey forwards again.

"Go on. He sees you only."

"Oh, that's okay. We can chat later," Chey sighed, already walking down the path to a tent.

"Is that where Jeong Jeong is? I need to talk with him right away," Aang questioned, already moving forwards, but Lin Yee blocked his movement.

"No! You wait here!" Lin Yee snapped before pushing Chey forwards once more.

"Don't worry. Everything'll be fine. He's a great man, great man!" Chey replied, mostly talking to himself as he trudged down to the tent. Lin Yee led them to a tent in the settlement, telling them to wait for Chey to return. As Sokka and Katara dozed off, Azara stayed up with Aang around the fire.

"Do you really think it's a bad idea if I talk to Jeong Jeong?" Aang inquired quietly, causing Azara to sigh and lean back on her hands.

"Aang, I'm not your advisor or anything, but fire is not something you mess with. And no offense, but you're a little immature. Firebending requires a great deal of control and discipline," Azara spoke as Aang looked up over the fire.