Chapter 22 [~|~] A Devious Plot

A.N. Warning: Includes mention of/a scene containing an incident of physical assault by a male character on a female character. 

Night had fallen and Sokka started to pace as Azara didn't return. "I'm sure there's an explanation, Sokka. Jet wouldn't let anything happen to her," Aang stated from the floor as Sokka stopped pacing to stare at the airbender.

"I'm worried about Jet hurting her!" Sokka snapped as Aang and Katara shared a look.

"Despite what you may think, Jet doesn't hurt innocent people," Katara shot back, but Sokka shook his head at his sister.

"Don't you realize the danger she's in? If Jet found out her real identity—" Sokka started but was cut off as Jet walked into the tent. Sokka turned around to glare at him. "Where is she?" he demanded, his fists clenched.

"Who? Jin?" Jet asked, leaning on the doorframe. "I was just showing her around the ziplines, and she fell. Nothing too bad, just a twisted ankle," Jet explained as Katara and Aang jumped to their feet in worry. "She's going to be fine, but I thought it would be best if she stayed in the infirmary for the night."

"I should go check on her," Sokka replied, moving to exit the hut, when Jet grabbed his arm.

"Actually, she's already asleep. We gave her some pain medication and it knocked her right out," Jet lied as Sokka glared up at him. "She should be all set to go tomorrow."

"Perfect. Then we'll leave tomorrow," Katara smiled before turning to her brother. "I'm sure she's fine, Sokka. Jet wouldn't let anything bad happen to her."

"Of course not. I'll take care of her, Sokka, don't you worry," Jet nodded, patting Sokka's shoulder, before walking out of the hut. Sokka narrowed his eyes at the tent flap before turning around to face Katara and Aang. 

"Doesn't that seem at all suspicious to you?" Sokka asked, gesturing towards the tent flap. Aang and Katara looked at each other for a moment before they both shrugged their shoulders. 

"Maybe a little, but Azara's a pretty capable firebender," Aang pointed out, glancing at Katara out of the corner of his eye. 

"Besides, I don't think anything terrible would have happened in camp without us hearing about it. This place is too small," Katara added, trying to soothe Sokka away from charging out the tent to give Jet a piece of his mind. "Besides, like you and Jet agreed, you can go check on her first thing in the morning." 

Sokka nodded silently, before trudging over to his sleeping bag. Aang and Katara nodded off soon after, but Sokka continued to stay away. As he leaned against the tree in the center of the hut, Sokka glanced over at Azara's unused sleeping bag. He looked away, his concern bubbling up again. 

Sighing, and deciding that he would go check on her the first thing in the morning, Sokka leaned back against the tree and fell into a light and fitful sleep. The sound of Jet talking and a cart moving woke Sokka out of his sleep. The sun had not yet risen when Sokka slipped out of the hut, following Jet and his Freedom Fighters from a distance.

Sokka ducked behind some bushes as Jet and his Freedom Fighters stared down at the valley. "Now listen, you are not to blow the dam until I give the signal. If the reservoir isn't full, the Fire Nation troops could survive," Jet explained as Sokka narrowed his eyes.

"But what about the people in the town, won't they get wiped out too?" the Duke asked, jumping down from the cart.

"Look, the Duke, that's the price of ridding this area of the Fire Nation," Jet replied softly, placing a hand on the Duke's shoulder.