Chapter 108 [~|~] The Ember Island Players (Books 2 and 3)

They eventually returned to their booth in time for the second act to start. Azara leaned onto Sokka, who rested his head atop her own.

The curtains opened to reveal an Earth Kingdom town. Azara, Katara, and Sokka stood next to a large rock as Aang looked around. "Well, here we are in the Earth Kingdom!" Katara announced, holding her arms up in the air.

"I'd better have a look around to see if I can find an earthbending teacher!" Aang stated, opening an air glider prop, and jumping into the air. A cable carried Aang through the air and around the theater, flying over the audience.

"This is it! This must be where I come in!" Toph exclaimed, looking excited.

Aang landed back on stage and walked over to the others. "I flew all over town, but I couldn't find a single earthbending master!"

"Here it comes!"

The large rock that the group was standing next to suddenly rose up as a large and buff man dressed in Toph's outfit emerged from a trapdoor. "You can't find an earthbending master in the sky, you have to look underground!" Toph yelled gruffly, tossing the rock to the side.

Everyone suddenly burst out laughing at the appearance of Toph's actor. Zuko looked rather stunned, dropping the scroll that he had been reading. Toph still looked excited about her entrance in the play.

"Who are you?" Aang asked, walking over to Toph.

Toph hocked some spit before turning to Aang. "My name's Toph, because it sounds like tough." Toph flexed their muscles aggressively at the crowd before turning back to Aang. "And that's just what I am!" Toph shouted, thumb against their chest.

The audience laughed at the scene as Toph stood up straighter. "Wait a minute, I sound like a guy. A really buff guy."

"Well, Toph, what you hear up there is the truth. It hurts, doesn't it?" Katara teased, leaning over towards Toph, and looking smug.

"Are you kidding me? I wouldn't have cast it any other way!" Toph laughed, moving to grip the railing. "At least I'm not a flying bald lady!" Aang crossed his arms over his chest, glaring at the stage with annoyance at Toph's words.

"So, you're blind?" Aang asked, waving a hand in front of Toph's eyes.

Toph laughed before pointing at Aang. "I can see you doing that. I see everything you see, except I don't 'see' like you do. I release a sonic wave from my mouth." Toph smirked before turning towards the audience and screaming.

Azara clasped her hands over her ears, curling up into herself as the actor's scream reverberated around the room. Sokka tugged her closer, burying his face into her hair to try and mute some of the noise. The only person in the whole theater who wasn't grimacing or covering their ears, was Toph, who stood up, looking excited.

"There. I got a pretty good look at you."

The audience clapped as the group walked off stage.

The scene changed to reveal Zuko and Iroh standing on a platform. "Zuko, it's time we had a talk . . . about your hair! It's gone too far!" Iroh warned, pointing at Zuko, whose ponytail had been traded for a large, full wig.

"Maybe it's best if we . . . split up!" Zuko stated dramatically before he walked off stage. Iroh headed in the opposite direction, his hands folded over his large belly.