Chapter 96 [~|~] The Western Air Temple

Zuko lowered his war balloon into some forest cover before grabbing a set of rope and heading for the Western Air Temple. Tying the rope around a rock, Zuko descended into the temple before swinging and landing on one of the platforms. Walking to the edge of the courtyard, Zuko stared out into the canyon, his thoughts elsewhere.

"What a stunning view," Iroh commented, staring out at the canyon.

"The only view I'm interested in seeing is the Avatar in chains," Zuko stated firmly, his eye still wrapped from the Agni Kai.

"You know, the Avatar hasn't been seen for one hundred years. The chances of finding him here are very slim," Iroh reminded Zuko gently.

"And we're just not that lucky," Azara added, her arms crossed over her chest.

"First, we'll check each of the air temples, then we'll scour the world, searching even the most remote locations until we find him."

"Prince Zuko, it's only been a week since your banishment. You should take some time to rest and heal," Iroh suggested, walking over.

"What else would I expect to hear from the laziest man in the Fire Nation?" Zuko scoffed, causing Iroh to sigh. "The only way to regain my honor is to find the Avatar, so I will." Iroh sighed again before turning to walk away, Azara glancing after him.

"You shouldn't be so harsh on Uncle. He's just trying to help," Azara told Zuko, walking to stand beside him.

"I don't need his help. I need the Avatar," Zuko snapped as Azara rolled her eyes, glancing around the Western Air Temple.

"Well, I don't see him here. So, let's go change your bandage again. The healer said we should be applying the salve every couple of hours," Azara suggested, turning to Zuko, who shot her a look.

"You're treating this like a joke, Azara."

"I'm just trying to be realistic, Zuko," Azara returned, her hands on her hips. "Now, don't make me drag you by your ponytail back to the camp so we can change that bandage."

"You'll never understand," Zuko huffed, turning away from his sister.

"How you seem to care so little for basic first aid and hygiene? Yeah, I won't," Azara muttered, walking over, and placing a reassuring hand on Zuko's shoulder. "Now, come on. This place is empty. You won't find the Avatar here. Come on, let's go."

Zuko sighed, lowering his head for a moment, before tensing as Appa flew down into the canyon. Running into the temple, he hid as Appa landed in one of the adjacent courtyards.

*|*|*|*|*

Aang sat down in the circle of his closest friends, who all had rather determined and serious expressions on their faces. He really wanted to join Teo, Haru, Kesuk, and The Duke in their exploration of the Western Air Temple, but he knew that Katara and Sokka would never leave him alone until he finally discussed the new plan.

"So, what's the new plan?" he asked, glancing between Sokka and Katara.

"Well, if you ask me, the new plan is the old plan! You just need to master all four elements and confront the Fire Lord before the comet comes," Sokka replied, resting his hands on his knees.

"Oh, yeah. That's great, no problem. I'll just do that," Aang scoffed sarcastically, looking away.

"Aang, no one said it's going to be easy."