Chapter 21 [~|~] A Grievous Betrayal

A.N. Warning: Slight and brief description of blood/wounds. 

"Hey, Sokka. Is Jet back?" Katara asked as Azara crossed her arms over her chest, glaring at the trees. Their recent argument was stupid to put it mildly and she just wanted to leave this forest.

"Yeah he's back. But we're leaving," Sokka declared, turning to face his sister.

"Great, let's get packing!" Azara spoke up as Aang walked over, a confused look on his face.

"What?"

"But I made him this hat," Katara whined, showing the funky looking hat that she had been making before she and Azara had argued.

"Your boyfriend Jet's a thug," Sokka stated firmly as Katara glared at her brother.

"What? No, he's not!"

"He's messed up, Katara."

"He's not messed up. He's just got a different way of life. A really fun way of life!" Aang defended, referencing the ziplines that connected the camp.

"He beat and robbed a harmless old man!" Sokka snapped, standing up.

"I want to hear Jet's side of the story," Katara replied, crossing her arms over her chest. Azara was apprehensive to involving Jet in the conversation. While Sokka could be dramatic, she knew he wouldn't lie about something like this. Jet, on the other hand, she didn't trust. 

Aang and Katara led the way to Jet's tent as Azara grabbed Sokka's arm. "I believe you," she whispered as they walked through camp. "We should get out of here, sooner rather than later."

"Agreed," Sokka nodded as they reached Jet's tent. Azara stood back as Katara retold the story Sokka had provided. Jet sat calmly on his bunk, staring at the ground as the piece of grass in his mouth shifted from side to side.

"Sokka, you told them what happened, but you didn't mention that the guy was Fire Nation?" Jet asked, glancing up at Sokka with a lazy expression on his face. Azara furrowed her eyebrows at the comment, but otherwise did not react.

"No, he conveniently left that part out," Katara huffed, crossing her arms, and staring at her brother with an 'I-told-you-so' look.

"Fine! But even if he was Fire Nation, he was a harmless civilian!"

"He was an assassin, Sokka." Jet replied, brandishing a knife, and stabbing it into the tree trunk in front of him. Azara studied the blade with interest, her eyes narrowing at the craftsmanship of the blade. "See? There's a compartment for poison in the knife." Jet untwisted the ring at the butt of the knife, revealing a small tube filled with red liquid. "He was sent to eliminate me; you helped save my life, Sokka."

"I knew there was an explanation," Katara sighed in relief as Azara glared at Jet.

"I didn't see any knife!" Sokka snapped, stepping forwards.

"That's because he was concealing it," Jet drawled as if the statement was obvious.

"See, Sokka? I'm sure you just didn't notice the knife," Katara continued, further irking her brother.

"There was no knife! I'm going back to the hut and packing my things," Sokka insisted before storming out of the tent. Azara followed out after him, running to catch up with him.