Chapter 18 [~|~] Another Narrow Escape

Azara woke up in the middle of the night again, this time not even remembering what had woken her up. Wiping the sweat from her face, Azara turned over again to try and fall back asleep when she spotted Katara's empty sleeping bag. Sliding silently out of her own sleeping bag, Azara walked over to the sleeping bag. Raising an eyebrow at the stuffed sleeping bag, Azara walked over to their bag, noting how the waterbending scroll was gone.

"Oh, Katara," Azara sighed, standing up quietly and walking into the woods. She followed the river, knowing that Katara was likely somewhere along the bank. Azara tensed as she heard a rustle behind her. Turning around, Azara glared at the pirate that had emerged in front of her. She glanced behind her to see two others behind her.

"So, are we going to do this the easy way or the hard way?" the pirate sneered, making Azara's glare harden. "You're outnumbered, girly."

"I'm surprised you can count that high," Azara smirked, knowingly provoking the pirates, who charged forwards. Dodging the first attacks, Azara launched one pirate into the river and knocked another one into the trees. Azara turned to the last pirate when a smoke bomb fell at her feet. "Not . . . fair," she coughed out, holding a hand over her mouth before she collapsed to the ground.

Coming out of her stupor, Azara found herself chained to a tree. Looking around, Azara turned and spotted Zuko and Katara glaring at each other. "Why am I not surprised you're working with pirates, Zuko?" Azara sighed, leaning back on the tree. "You have so much in common. Did they offer you a free eyepatch if you joined the crew?" she asked as Zuko stormed over to his sister.

"Shut your mouth, you traitor! As soon as I have captured the Avatar, I'm bringing you back to the Fire Nation to stand trial for treason!"

"I'm quaking in my chains," Azara rolled her eyes as Zuko growled in frustration before returning to interrogate Katara.

"Tell me where he is and I won't hurt you or your brother," Zuko offered Katara, who glared up at him and shook her head.

"Go jump in the river!" Katara snapped as Zuko sighed.

"Try to understand. I need to capture him to restore something I've lost, my honor," Zuko explained, walking behind Katara. "Perhaps in exchange for something you've lost." Zuko held up Katara's mother's necklace to her neck, causing Katara's eyes to widen.

"My mother's necklace! How did you get it?" Katara demanded as Zuko walked in front of her.

"I didn't steal it if that's what you're wondering. Tell me where he is!"

"Enough of necklace garbage! You promised us the scroll!" a pirate yelled, stepping forwards.

"I wonder how much this is worth . . ." Zuko drawled, lighting a small fire in his hand, and holding the scroll over it. At the pirate's reaction, Zuko smirked. "A lot, apparently. Now you help me find what I want, you'll get this back, and everyone goes home happy."

"I won't!" Azara joked, causing her brother to growl, sending her a glare over his shoulder.

"Search the woods for the boy and meet back here!" Zuko ordered, turning back to the pirates. The pirates disappeared into the woods as Katara turned to Azara.

"I'm so sorry, Azara. I didn't mean to drag us into this mess with the scroll," Katara apologized as Azara shrugged in response.

"Don't worry about it. I'm confident we'll get out of here," Azara smiled back encouragingly as the sun started to rise. A few minutes later, the pirates returned with Aang and Sokka between them, their hands tied.