Chapter 13 [~|~] The Spirit World

Azara laid on her back quietly, basking in the glow of the sun as Appa flew along silently. "Those clouds look so soft, don't they? Like you could just jump down, and you'd land in a big, soft, cottony heap?" Katara spoke dreamily as she stared down at the clouds.

"Maybe you should give it a try," Sokka mocked, carving something with his knife.

"You're hilarious."

"I'll try it!" Aang replied, before jumping off Appa's side, his laughter echoing around them. Azara, Katara, and Sokka looked over the side, searching for any sign of the airbender. The sound of Aang's glider caused them to turn around to see Aang plop into Appa's saddle, soaking wet with a wide smile on his face. "Turns out, clouds are made of water."

Katara looked off into the distance, her eyes widening as she spotted the changed landscape. "Hey, what is that?" Azara glanced over, studying the darkened earth. 

"It looks like a scar," Sokka commented as they flew closer. Aang hopped forwards, directing Appa down to the ground. As Appa landed, ash kicked up, making the scene all the more chilling. Azara slid down, staring at the ash that had replaced the once lush forest. There was one likely explanation, and Azara closed her eyes and sighed at the thought of it. "Listen, it's so quiet."

"Aang? Are you okay?" Katara questioned, walking over to the distraught Avatar. Azara walked away, looking through the burned forest. As she walked, some of the ash kicked up. Azara looked down at her boots, surprise on her face at the sight of a small green sprout. Brushing through more ash, she found a few acorns.

Standing up and walking over to a dejected Aang, Azara tapped his shoulder lightly. "Life is still here, Aang," Azara explained, handing Aang the acorns. "These acorns will grow into big oak trees and the forest will grow back. Some have already taken root." Aang smiled up at her, before leaping to his feet at the sight of an old man approaching.

"Hey, who are you?" Sokka demanded, his hand resting on his boomerang.

"When I saw the flying bison, I thought it was impossible! But, those markings . . . are you the Avatar?" the old man asked, walking to stand in front of Aang. The airbender shared a look with Katara and Azara before nodding. "My village desperately needs your help!" the man stated urgently.

Azara walked quietly next to Appa as the man led the group back to his village. As they walked through the town, Azara stared in disbelief at the dilapidated and destroyed buildings. "What happened here?" she wondered to herself as they walked inside a large building filled with villagers.

"This young person is the Avatar!" the old man announced as a younger man, likely the leader of the village, approached.

"So, the rumors of your return are true! It is the greatest honor of a lifetime to be in your presence," the man nodded, bowing lightly to Aang.

"Nice to meet you too! So . . . is there something I can help you with?" Aang asked, staring up at the village leader with mild confusion.

"I'm not sure . . ."

"Our village is in crisis, he's our only hope! For the last few days at sunset, a spirit monster comes and attacks our village. He is Hei Bai, the black and white spirit," the village leader explained, looking grimly at the setting sun.

"Why is it attacking you?" Sokka questioned, standing next to Aang.

"We do not know, but each of the last three nights, he has abducted one of our own. We are especially fearful because the Winter Solstice draws near."