Chapter Six: Buona Notte

Hi!!! 

Anybody doing anything interesting on the weekend??? :) 

Make sure to vote and a million comments for me to read if you love me!! <3

            Outside the library, the crisp, cold air matched the tension between Lucius and me. It wasn't reaching below freezing at night yet, but next week around Thanksgiving they were already calling for snow. 

I actually couldn't wait for winter, I loved how pretty everything looked when it snowed. Winter was my mother's favorite season, and some my strongest memories of her revolved around Christmas. This year, I hadn't felt as bitter about this winter coming around, and I'd actually hoped for a white Christmas next month. But the way things were going right now in my life, it'd be another year of stressed, depressing holidays.

Lucius walked ahead of me in the parking lot, his sleek dress shoes clacking against the pavement as we walked toward a glossy, muscly black Bugatti in the distance.

His car had automatically started, its angry headlights flashing on, and I looked forward to having some heat back into my body.

He seriously couldn't have parked any further from the library if he tried. Men and their cars.

The Bugatti was absolutely gorgeous. But it felt showy and pretentious to pick me up in this, so I wouldn't feed his already massive ego.

Lucius opened my passenger door. Normally I would have said thank you, but for him I made a point not to, and I had a feeling he didn't care either way.

Once inside the batman-esque vehicle, I set my messenger bag on the floor and buckled my seatbelt, the lingering scent of his cologne, the heat from the vents, and the softness of the leather seat making me feel undeniably comfortable. Damn it. Remember who this guy is. This car was bought with illegal money.

Lucius shrugged off his long wool jacket outside of the car and folded it over once, before ducking into the low vehicle. He was so tall and big that his seat was as probably as far back as it could go. 

My eyes swept over his strong chest in his dark grey dress shirt. He slid off his gloves and neatly put them into the jacket, before setting it on the center console between us. His eyes connected with mine briefly as I reached over to take his jacket. I recognized since this car had a rear engine there was little storage and no back seats, and it was stupid to just keep it in the middle of the car like that where his arm was supposed to rest, so I placed the folded garment on my lap. 

"Thanks," Lucius said, his eyes still lingering on my face. Up close in the car, I could see how long his eyelashes were. "How'd you exam go?"

I turned away from him, feeling a weird sensation in my stomach. "Alright," I said with a shrug. "I haven't gotten the grade back."

Pulling the car into reverse gear, Lucius reached into his jacket on my lap, my pulse picking up a notch, as he slid my cell phone out and placed it on top. I wanted to snap at  him and say I could have gotten it myself, but that would be letting on how that small gesture had effected me.

I wordlessly stuffed my phone into my messenger bag by my feet, fighting not to inhale his jacket as I leaned over. I wish he'd worn some cheap, musty old man cologne, but the universe clearly hated me.

"You know, it's pretty pretentious and rude to announce dinner plans with somebody without asking," I said as I sat up. "In fact, some might even say it's a sign of extreme narcissism."