Chapter Seventeen: Dirty Money, Dirty Texts

CIAO, KISSES!!!

WHO'S EXCITED TO BE HERE??? THROW DOWN YOUR FAV EMOJI LET'S GET HYPEDDD!!

Hehe, don't forget to VOTE, leave FIREY feedback all over your fav juicy story and share this story everywhere you can.

Short but sweet chapter here. Wanted to do something fun with text messages, which TBH is one of my fav things to read in books hahhaha. Hope you enjoy!
<3

Once Lucius left, I tried to keep my mind occupied by helping clean up and put leftovers away with Nonna and Gemma. Afterward, we all laid down in the living room and watched a movie. I looked over at my family halfway through the film, to find everyone had passed out cold.

I had to laugh at Mia and Papà, who were side by side on the couch under Mia's Avenger's blanket, snoring in the same way with their mouths slightly open.

Those dang carbs from Thanksgiving.

I'd be lying if I said my mind wasn't still racing from what Lucius had threatened me with before he left. That man had some fucking nerve. And he could be terrifying when he wanted to be, that's for sure. I hated feeling like getting the upper hand over this situation was getting harder and harder.

Also, was I just supposed to trust that after this was all over Lucius would never tell my father what happened with Marcos Cafaro? I had nothing to hold over Lucius' head. Nothing. And maybe that was the problem.

I took a long, hot shower as I contemplated all of this, and got into my most comfortable jammies for bed. As I slipped an oversized shirt over my head, my eyes fell on the bag from Dior that Lucius had gotten me. I'd put it right next to the lingerie bag, when I'd gone shopping with Bianca, Annika, and Lana.

Checking my phone messages, I saw that Nick had texted me a meme about eating too much on Thanksgiving. Smiling, I texted him back and forth for a while. He asked me out the week after, and I said yes, although I felt a little guilty considering my situation.

But my situation wasn't real. Although Lucius' jealousy whenever I brought up Nick was very real. I wouldn't put it past a possessive narcissist to feel that way about his fake fiancé.

Feeling like I had nobody to talk to about any of this, especially my friends, I ended up staying up to journal, when my phone chimed on my nightstand.

Lucifer Do Not Answer: You up?

I read his text and immediately set the phone down upside down on my nightstand, but it vibrated again.

Lucifer Do Not Answer: Read receipts still on, dearest.

"I'll give him dearest," I hissed out. Growling, I changed his contact's name, since apparently, I had no self-control anymore.

Me: What do you want, Lucifer?

Lucifer: Are you going to say yes?

Me: WTF are you talking about?

Lucifer: When I get down on one knee.

I rubbed at my eyes with a yawn, rereading the text again. My pulse picked up a notch at the reminder that he was actually planning on proposing to me. It was way too late for this much anxiety.

Me: Why are you even asking to marry me? It's an arranged marriage.

Lucifer: I told you, it'll look better if I put the effort in. I need to know you're going to play along, and I need it in wording.

Me: So... you want assurance I'll say yes. And you think a text message will give you that assurance.

Lucifer: Yes, put it in wording.